Just some rambling

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoddingRon

A man in his natural habitat....a Studebaker
So I take the 40 Studebaker out for a ride on Sunday, and decide to stop by the garage I rent to try and get more stuff organized for the up coming trade I'm doing with BigShem (trading my Studebaker pick up and running parts car for his 56 Chevy). Anyway the garage is out in the country without a whole lot around, but the one local neighbor was out walking his dog and spotted the "old car" and had to see it up close. He comes walking up asking if it was ok to see the car (he was probably in his 60's) and I tell him sure that its ok, and introduce myself. He walks around the front and says "don't tell me, let me see if I can guess what kind it is". I warn him there's no badging, but he says it's ok.....he looks at the front and says..."is it in the Studebaker family?"

Kind of shocked me, because I'm used to people seeing the 34 Studebaker I used to have and calling it a Ford, or some really smart car guy seeing it and calling it a Dodge, because it wasn't a Ford!

I'm always ready to talk to anyone about old cars in general (especially the "old timers" because of the knowledge you can pick up from them), but when he hit Studebaker from the start, well.....we stood there talking for a good 45 minutes before he had to go. Come to find out that when he was a kid his uncle worked for one of the local Studebaker garages, and he said he was always fascinated by them. It was a really nice time listening to some of his stories from when he was younger, and telling him how my Studebaker had one of the last year Studebaker V8's in it (he remebered they used the Chevy V8's bought from the Canadian McKinnon foundry in their last days :) ) Again, I can't say how enjoyable it was to talk with him about the old days. Told him that any time he saw me over at the garage, to stop by and visit.

Just another good day being out with an "old car":cool:

That's why I like working where I'm at. The guy is 55 and into cars big time. His friends are older yet and have some cool cars and better stories. They stop by once a week to see progress of any kind and offer their thoughts.

I have always loved talkin' to the oldtimers... they're really seen some changes & have some great stories! Sad part... now I'm gettin' to be one of 'um!!!

BoB

Ron thats kool , i love talking to my elders they have great stories and knowledge...... this is kinda off topic ,but i met a fella who was just a teenager at the time he and his friend was playing hookie from school they were in the woods smoking cigs well apearntly they through a lit cig on the ground and left...... well about an half an hour went by they were watching all these fire companies and ambulances and they looked up and saw the woods on fire they that they had did it..... but come to find out the hindenburg had just crashed down here in lakehurst...boy he that he was in so much trouble...... kool story.....:eek:

Latest posts

Back