Lee hartung auction :report...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPO

Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...
Ill start by saying that I didnt buy anything, but was surprised that some of the cars went for very reasonable prices. I went to the auction on sat just for fun, looked at it as a trip to a "museum" aka pay 50 bucks to see and touch stuff I will never get to see again.. such as the old Xcelsiors and sears motorcycles and pretty much all the stuff from the teens...

Anyway, I was really kicking myself about not having anywhere to store any more projects currently. Some of the really solid model A's were going for less than 3 grand, if you didnt mind a 4 door you could get one that with a little spit shine and a tune up would be a fun driver...

I kept a list of what stuff was going for, but the one that sticks out in my head was a 30 model AA truck for 1,000.. and one tudor went for 2,750... The model a Vicki, which i think is the only one I have ever seen in person went for 5,100 which I thought was a decent buy..

and the one I was eyeing which was a Studebaker 20 something that had been cut down to a truck for 1500... I had a real hard time not bidding, but I kept level headed.

when I have the list infront of me ill add some more standouts....

The super rare BMW went for 170,000 and most of the teen motorcycles went for over 100K.

It was definitely interesting, I took some pics Ill post up later if anyone is interested, I know I will be kicking myself in a year or so when im looking for another project and all I can find is rusted out piles. I got a kick out of the high dollar hot rod guys looking over some of the bodies with a little lower door rot and maybe a little on the cowl and listing to them "man that body is ruff" Beautiful condition by the standards many of us start with (myself included)

heres some photos from the day..

This is the stude I wanted
IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

couple more

heres the 170K BMW... i think its kinda ugly...
IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

the bikes were awesome
IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

That BMW is butt ugly.

And this thing, it should have been killed at birth.

IMG_3243.jpg

Thanks for the report, like the pictures.

Ugly or not........I love the BMW [cl[cl It would be interesting to know how Mr. Hartung came by this car and how much he paid for it :confused:

You are so right in your "Museum trip" analogy, well worth 50 bucks to stand in the presence of such a collection! :cool:
About ten years ago there was a local estate auction here that spanned several weekends and one weekend was devoted to the gentleman's vintage toy collection. A good friend of mine whom has since passed away was the auctioneer so I went just to watch.............The day's toy sales topped $150K :eek: Sometimes ya just gotta go for the experience :cool:

Ugly or not........I love the BMW [cl[cl It would be interesting to know how Mr. Hartung came by this car and how much he paid for it :confused:

The story I got from a guy that spoke to him on a few occasions before his passing was that he gathered his collection by reading the obituary's and calling the widows and offering to clean out the garages and basements, most of what he had he was either paid to remove or got it for free!

The story I got from a guy that spoke to him on a few occasions before his passing was that he gathered his collection by reading the obituary's and calling the widows and offering to clean out the garages and basements, most of what he had he was either paid to remove or got it for free!

I've often thought that myself, I just don't have the nerve to do that yet. I would hate to have some poor distraught lady screaming at me :(

Latest posts

Back