Might be going a different direction

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

As most of you know, I have a '39 Dodge truck that I was building in what some call a "bobber" style. Olds engine, S10 rear, chopped, channeled, short bed behind and suicide front end. I haven't done anything on it for the past several months because of helping Dan and Don on their rods, and also not having the money to really do the things I need to do on it.

While Dan was doing some work on his car I had some downtime, so I sat back in a chair and started to stare at the Dodge a little. Then I started to stare at the 460 Ford I have sitting on an engine stand. I originally was building the 460 for a race-only car and it has some pretty good work done to it........bored 30 over, line bored, balanced, polished Cobra Jet crank and rods, a very wicked roller cam that comes in at 2500 and goes out at 7000 rpms, and worked heads with roller rockers. It still needs some assembly but I also have a new race prepped c6 tranny sitting there waiting for it. Should put out in the 500-600 range when done I hope.

Anyway, the more I looked at the Dodge the more I want to go bracket racing and the Dodge seems to be a perfect candidate for the project. I could pull the Olds engine for some other project down the road, install the 460 on some engine plates, replace the weak S10 rear with a 9 incher and some good Moser axles and center section with some 4:88 gears,etc. The three link setup on the rear can be adapted and should work ok, but I will change out the front end to a stronger I beam axle and disc brakes to hold up under wheelstands :)rolleyes::D) and finally, build a full cage that would also serve to reinforce the frame from flexing.

I haven't raced since the '70's, but all of the new shows like Pinks All Out have me wanting to do it again. I talked to Dan about it, and we have the tubing bender for the cage and the bead roller to make up an aluminum interior for it, so it is do-able. My original plan was to build a little Bantam altered for the 460, but something with a roof might be fun and an old truck would be a crowd pleaser.

Not looking for any super times, maybe mid 10's, but I want it to be consistent, which is very much what these big blocks are good for.....they will just run on the same numbers all day long without breaking a sweat.

So, what do you think? Good idea or bad idea?

Don

Last edited:
Don....I think your a sick man! I LIKE IT! That would definetly be something different and I'm sure would be a crowd pleaser. Heck maybe a couple of the professionals on here would help chip in with some parts...but either way you know the rules....lots of pictures (build up and in action)

Do it !!!!

That would be a cool setup with the big block.
It looks like you would be somewhere between "gasser" and "altered".
Lots of photos as usual (you have spoiled us :rolleyes: ).

Sounds like a great idea and a fun next project. '22

Don....I think your a sick man!

Definitely what he said!!! Only a really sick person would ditch a perfectly good SB & drop in a rockin' BB... hummm... SBC... Nailhead... er... nevermind!!! I think that would be an *excellent* idea!!! Incredible how BB's start talkin' to ya!!!

BoB

Last edited:
Glad to see you guys are as sick as me! :D:D I don't know, I'm just getting the urge to run a little bracket car again, and I have this perfect little speciman sitting there just waiting to go.

I might flip flop again, but for now it sure looks like something I want to do. My major expense will be in getting a good strong 9 incher setup. With slicks, wheels, new housing, Moser axles,brakes, and a nodular center section I'm looking at between $3-$4,000. But if I don't make that as strong as the rest of the car I will never be able to hammer on it.

I'll have to see how the money situation is if and when this job comes through.

Don

Glad to see you guys are as sick as me! :D:D I don't know, I'm just getting the urge to run a little bracket car again, and I have this perfect little speciman sitting there just waiting to go.

Don,
I'm glad to know I'm not the only crazy one around here. I thought I may have lost it when my Chevelle started talking to me about wantin' a new BB but... now I see u're car has been talkin' to u too!!!

BoB

Sounds like fun. I say goferit. Now ya got me thinkin about the 455 Olds I have taking up space..HMMMMMMMMMMMM. Im gonna go out and see if it has anything to say to me.:D

B *very* careful!!!

Sounds like fun. I say goferit. Now ya got me thinkin about the 455 Olds I have taking up space..HMMMMMMMMMMMM. Im gonna go out and see if it has anything to say to me.:D

Dog,
B *very* careful... those BB's are *very* convincing!!! ; - >

BoB

I quit racing in the mid-60's when I stuffed my Thames into a guardrail. Six years ago I took my street Fiat (400sbc) out for Test and Tune and had a great time. Since then I go at least a couple times a year. Now I'm setting up to go to more nostalgia drag meets. For me, it sure beats sitting in a lawn chair at a show filled with high buck rods I don't care much about. I gues this is the long way of saying, do it! If you are going to NHRA tracks, make sure you build to the rule book or the tech guys could ruin your day.

I agree on the rule book. When I get seriously started on it I am going to order one for sure. Dan and I took a quick look at it tonight and it really won't take much to turn it into a nice little bracket altered. We figure we will put in a 10 point cage and make it so the body slips down over the forward and rear tubes of it. I am going to use the I beam axle Dan has mocked up under his '29 because I don't trust the tube axle under the Dodge for dragstrip use.

I'm pretty convinced this is what I am going to do, all those TV drag racing shows have me wanting to do some burnouts again. I figure the Dodge will be a little different than all the Mustangs and Camaros running down the strip, so it might be fun. I've already started looking at Summit Racing's catalog and daydreaming about what parts I will need.

Don

Latest posts

Back