Missouri Newbie

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ky509

Howdy from Missouri. Yup I am new at this. Just started my first early early type rat rod, 1930 chevrolet 2 dr seeeedan. I built a lot of the tri 5`s back in the 60`s and 70`s. no front bumpers, everthing possible was removed with in the legal limits of the law in order to save weight. K-Mart 15 cent cans of hot rod gray primer paint jobs. 348 and 409 engines with either T-10 or muncie 4 speeds. You older gray beards know the type car I`m talking about. Like I told my son, I was building rat rods before the phrase was coined and they became popular. Back in the day any one building and driving a car like I built was called a "Hood" or a "Rebel", "Worthless" " no acount punk". They called my car junk with a capitol J or commonly refered to it as a rattle trap. BUT, they also called me fast Eddie the 348\409 king. Pound in the fire wall so the pass side valve cover would clear. Move the radiator to the 6 cyl position out front of the rad support. Kick the battery to the trunk. remove the side mounts common on the 348`s and 409`s and bolt on the small block tri five motor mount stantions to the front of the 48 or 09, set um in the 6 cyl position, hack a hole in the tranny hump for the hurst shifter and baby you are ready for the local burger doodle. Crap nearly for got the hooker equal length headers and cherry bomb mufflers.
Fellow gear heads, I am nearly 65 have never built one of these little 30 chevys before. I have a chrysler 440 with 6pack setup I intend on powering this little buggy with. I measured the wheel base and it looks like 105, whewthat is 3 inches under a camaro. Does any on know if this thing is going to be a hand full to handle. I always hear that the shorter the wheel base the harder they are to handle?
Any how I like your site and intend on posting my progress.
Btw, did the above qualify as an intruduction? Did I tell you that my wife once said that Harrison Ford had nothing on me when it come to wadding up traffic tickets and tossing them either in the floor or glove box, heh heh heh. Later

Welcome to the forum... glad u found us! Make u're self @ home & feel free 2 join rat in! We're definitely gonna have to see some pictures!!! :D

BoB

Welcome to RRR! Yep, we need pictures.

If it's to hard to handle from the short wheelbase, you can always stretch it with a suicide front end later. But nothing steers well when the wheels are in the air...

Back