More reasons not to drink and drive.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately a lot of offenders are only caught after someone dies or is seriously injured as in this case. Some are first time offenders, others have been getting away with it for years. The end result is the same...some one was seriously injured and could just as well died from his actions. Just think how you would feel if the injured party was your mother, your wife or even a 4 year old grand child. Your opinion would change rapidly. The reason the laws are so harsh is incidents like this. He should have known not to imbibe in alcohol while taking pain meds. I feel for the guy, but the laws apply to everyone equally. Do Not Drink and Drive, or your next bar tender may be the jail guard. :(

lots of emotion will be shown in a case like this, Don you are right as far as the "Jesus said whoever is w/o sin among you let him cast the first stone" but if we put it in context it was to a crowd of hypocrites looking to trick Jesus into breaking the laws of Moses (to use that reason in this case would be no different that using the same argument if i stole your T & we know that isn't gonna fly w/you or anyone else)
The situation seems harsh, i agree, but apparently florida is cracking down on drinking and driving, and this guy got caught in the middle of it, if i was the one who had been run over, i would not want the guy to go to prison, but would want serious restitution--consider what time-frame of healing and income loss she will be going through, and for what? all b/c a guy mixed meds & alcohol!?

it is a sad case indeed and i emphatically want to encourage all who read this to

1) leave the keys with someone else if you think you must drink or.....

2) LEAVE THE BOOZE ALONE AND AVOID THE HEARTACHE

Its not that his punishment was too harsh there are just too many people getting off easy and the point isnt getting to those who choose to do it. I am going to be harsh here. Poor guy!!! There is NO excuse for drinking and driving. I have been limping for 21 yrs now because of a nice young lady who had a family and went to church and had kids BLA BLA BLA! Needs to be a no loops law for it then maybe theese @#*$@ will start thinking before they drive. I would gladly give up 2 years in prison to be able to ride a bike or run with my now 13 year old daughter, She is now playing soccer and not too much fun trying to help her when you have busted everything from your waist down. Ever tried to sit on the toilet with a straight leg. Theese DUI people dont think about lil things like the ones I mentioned.!! Sorry guys you would think after 21 years I would be able to handle it a lil better. How about completely breaking down at night because of the pain.

HE WAS TAKING PAIN MEDS ALSO so it was not a first in any way. Montana just passed " HB106 creates a statewide 24/7 Sobriety program" you get a dwi and you get two breath testes per day to get any time out of jail.

Notice I stayed out of this one?

Another hot topic...... I won't comment as I am biased on this one..... but you all make good arguements...... lots of lobbying by the MADD groups on this and states lose government money if they don't go along with some of this legislation / requirements......

There's controversy on everything, that's a fact. Sad tale of going to jail and your family losing their home! If a story like this one causes only one person to rethink their intentions of driving home after consuming any amount of alcohol, then maybe it was worth something. ...CR

I think all these controversially topics boil down to how we balance personal responsibility and our innate contempt for authority.

There's controversy on everything, that's a fact. Sad tale of going to jail and your family losing their home! If a story like this one causes only one person to rethink their intentions of driving home after consuming any amount of alcohol, then maybe it was worth something. ...CR

That was what I was trying to accomplish by posting this, not to drum up sympathy for our friend. The other night as I was leaving our shop at about 3:30 AM I stopped at a stop sign and then turned right onto the highway. All of a sudden there was a guy on a bike right in front of me........no lights and he was wearing black! :eek: My Son yelled to me or I might not have seen him as he was crossing the road where he shouldn't have been. If I had hit him and if I had even one or two beers in me I would have been automatically at fault, and could have been in the same boat as our friend.

I spoke to my Son Don today and asked him if anyone has heard how our friend is doing. He said he spoke with his wife and she visited him this weekend. Not only are some of the other inmates threatening him, but the guards are screwing with him too. He didn't get dinner the other night and the head guard told him "You already ate" Finally a lady guard came by and he told her he had not eaten and she got him a sandwich, then the head guard chewed her out for feeding him.

He is going to be a totally different guy when he comes out, I fear. :(

Don

I for one am very grateful to you Don for bringing this topic to attention.
I grew up when driving without insurance and and a bottle between your knees was common behavior. Those days are long gone but remnants of the careless attitude linger on.

This is a tragedy for everyone involved, people on both sides suffer.
We all can learn a lesson here, driving is a serious responsibility, and must be taken seriously EVERY time you get behind the wheel.
In addition to the obvious statement "Don't drink and drive." let's all remember that other things can distract us too. Put down the cell phones, and coffee, keep pets off your lap etc.

Take time to teach younger drivers more then just the rules of the road, but also to take responsibility for their actions.

Be safe on the roads out there and take care.

CarGuysWife

Latest posts

Back