Mustang II suspension question...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V8Square

On my project car, tube chassis, sbc350,Mustang II front suspension, 700R4 trans,narrowed 9" Ford triangulated 4bar, that should weigh in at about 2,500 pounds, have a question. I have both a manual steering rack and a power unit. Do you think that the manual would be fine for this car? Reason I ask is that I may resort to a front of engine motor mount set up, due to clearance restrictions, and I don't think a p/s pump will work with that set up. Thanks,Tom:confused:

A manual rack is fine with a light car like yours. But sometimes parking can be a PITA. if you are rolling a little then it is fine. 2 ideas for you:

A: try using a remote resivoir P/S pump for more clearance. You can use a ford unit (like on a 99 mustang) or an Impala LT1 unit 95-96 or vette 94-96. And don't be afraid to move your accesories around to where you like them. Beauty of hot rodding is you don't have to use off the shelf brackets and placement.

B: Or go to an electric unit. Aftermarket has just come out with them but they are kind of expensive. GM has had them out for a couple of years so you can score one in a bone yard fairly cheap. You will have to mess with the module and some wiring to get it to work but it would be up under the dash.

Hope this helps. [P

A manual rack is fine with a light car like yours. But sometimes parking can be a PITA. if you are rolling a little then it is fine. 2 ideas for you:

A: try using a remote resivoir P/S pump for more clearance. You can use a ford unit (like on a 99 mustang) or an Impala LT1 unit 95-96 or vette 94-96. And don't be afraid to move your accesories around to where you like them. Beauty of hot rodding is you don't have to use off the shelf brackets and placement.

B: Or go to an electric unit. Aftermarket has just come out with them but they are kind of expensive. GM has had them out for a couple of years so you can score one in a bone yard fairly cheap. You will have to mess with the module and some wiring to get it to work but it would be up under the dash.

Hope this helps. [P

...GM has had them out for a couple of years so you can score one in a bone yard fairly cheap. Like on the Cobalts? They were junk from the factory. In my opinion.

So, you think that just for parking, that would be the biggest downside of a manual rack?

just remember if you use the power unit then you need to use a ford pump, the chevy unit will not work.

Manual is the way I would go, but it's really an individual preference!!

Reason? For normal driving, I would think it would steer easy enough. For parking, I can see where it might get a little cumbersome. But parking wish, I can't think of many places I go that I have to paralle (?) park. Woiuld save a lot on bracketry, pump, hoses, etc going manual.[S

that rack and pinon should be easy either way(easier then a reg. steering box). your car seems to be lite so it should not be a problem. i got a glass 26 t roadster with the front tires half flat and can grab the shaft at the bottom by the rack and turn it by hand with a small block in it.

that rack and pinon should be easy either way(easier then a reg. steering box). your car seems to be lite so it should not be a problem. i got a glass 26 t roadster with the front tires half flat and can grab the shaft at the bottom by the rack and turn it by hand with a small block in it.

That's kind of my thoughts also. Years ago, I drove VW bugs and they steered very easily. They weighed under 2,000 pounds but then again, they did not have a V8 engine setting in the front either. Plus, I wa a helluva lot youger and stronger then too.

I have both power on my 34 ih & manual on my 36 ih. The manual steers ok with a small block & wide tires, not to hard but a lot of turns. The power steers quicker with less turns, more fun to drive. I recomend the power.

Attachments

• 3int.jpg
    3int.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 6
I've used manual MII racks on a variety of my cars that were light in weight. No problem at all as long as the front tires are not too wide and the steering wheel is not too small in diameter.

You can use a GM power steering pump on a Mustang rack, but you have to get the valve that drops the pressure to match the Ford rack. Lots of places sell GM pumps already converted to the lower Ford pressure, and they also sell the valve to use on your GM pump if you already have one.

Best thing about going manual is the lack of hoses and the pump. I've got manual steering on my Maverick with 215/60/15's up front, it's not bad as long as you're rolling just a bit, but it's hard as heck to turn sitting still....

Latest posts

Back