My First Attempt At Painting

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogers_68

Ok, so I've finally made a decision on how to repaint the bus. I'm using Rustoleum rattle cans, Hunter Green in satin finish. I did two sections this weekend. One section was sanded down to bare metal because I had some body work to do. There was lots of Bondo and I didn't want to mess around with adding new Bondo. The other section had aftermarket red paint on one half and aftermarket white paint on the other half. The Rustoleum paint looks cool. It's not quite as flat as primer but close. Looks like an old, faded paint job. I love it so far.

On the bare metal section I used a primer sealer first. On the painted section I sanded the paint with some 400 paper and then painted over it. The bare metal section looks even. On the painted section there are small spots where the paint is slightly more shiny than other spots. Did I not sand evenly? Should I use primer over the aftermarket paint? Do I need to wet sand the final coat?

Thanks.

i think the sealer should be applied to all of it -it would help the finish coat be more "even" ---color and gloss
shake up them cans good & go to work!!:eek:
... not everybody needs a $20,000 paint job to be happy:D:p

Make sure you sanded the old paint really good, esp the edges and seams. I would put epoxy sealer on the whole thing before puttin any paint down.

Good advice

I'm in the painting business and I've read some good advice here for you.
If your not going to listen to "rogers68" and stop, then listen to "gearhead10"
The only way to fix it right is to strip it but if that isn't an option, then sand it well, especially the edges of panels and bondo edges. Using the epoxy sealer everywhere will lock out any moisture and the "not so great" bodywork underneath will last longer. Make sure you spend a little extra money on the sealer/primer and get EPOXY. And rattle can paint can look decent if you spray it on right. Practice. No point in buffing that out though. Good luck

There is a lot of good advice here. I tried sanding a small section yesterday and using Rustoleum's "Automotive Primer." Anyone else tried it?

It sounds like I should some epoxy primer to do the best job. I bet the Napa store by my house carries some.

Thanks everyone.

hot rod flatz

you should sand the hole car with 400 grit and SPEND SOME MONEY buy kustom shop.com hot rod flatz around 165.00 everything you will need.ez to use

Latest posts

Back