newb.... well, kinda

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onedcharette

Hello all, the reason for the " kinda" comment in the subject line is I did a ground up restoration on a 51 f1 (sold it years ago). Im a newb in the rat rod genre. When I rebuilt the 51 I put a 302/C4/9 inch combo in it. I would like to kind of do the same thing with another truck. The only thing I have no clue about is the frame and chopping of the top. Part of me wants to just dive in and build the frame but I like the idea of using the dakota/s10/ranger frame.
So anyway I hope to narrow down cabs and frames etc. Oh, another thing I may try but feel a little intimidated is I want to put a more current engine/trans combo and am worried about the electronic computerside of the engine . Is there something out there that calms the nerves and walks you through? A book for dummies like me thing?
I look fwd to reading a bunch on here and to maybe even throw some questions your way. I promise to do my best and NOT ask the same questions that have been asked a 100 times before.

You can check my link in my signature for another F1 chop.
As far as the electronics go, a few of us are versed in in newer harnesses and electronics.
Just ask, someone will probably post up or email you wiring schematics for just about anything.

Welcome to RRR! If you go fenderless, build your own frame.
Dont quite know what direction ill go yet. My last build I learned a lesson real quick.... the cash receipts added up quick. I would put all reciepts in a gallon freezer bag and when I was done that same bag looked like a stuffed pillow :eek:

Hi Onedcharette

From a practical daily driver rebuild...a S10 / Dakota frame swap gives you the best of both worlds for sure...I am just getting going on a 1991 S10 under an old Willys truck cab.....I am trying to keep as much of the S10 as I can including all the sensors and pollution controls too...my goal is a NAPA auto parts store friendly rebuild that wont break the bank...restore type rebuilds get crazy expensive really quickly...I just finished a all stock 1947 Willys CJ2A...way over $6,000.00 into it and it wont run but 35-40 MPH...I kept all the receipts too...I bet it is 1" thick....
Welcome to the more sane way of rebuilding old stuff...

MikeC

Back