Newest Home Brew Tool

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
I've been needing, or rather, have had a desire for a paint shaker. Going to be spraying a metallic green, and if not mixed from time to time it wants to settle out and changes the look of the color as you go. So..I looked at what was available locally, 250 bucks and up for a commercial unit. Nope that's not going to cut it, time to see what can be converted from scrap to a treasure. I have a left over base from an old chopsaw, yeah I can make that work. (The top half was already incorporated into an earlier project.) The base has a screw clamp with the quick disconnect...bonus! Rooted around the scrap box and found a couple of steel plate discs for ends of the pail clamp. Not sure where they came from? Of course no project would be complete without a bit of angle from a bed frame. Had a couple of bearings on hand, needed to buy 4 more, along with a sprocket, a couple of weld collars for the sprockets, already had one. Shaft, (bolt shanks with the head and thread portion cut off.) And a bit of flat strap that I keep on hand. Didn't get pictures of the whole process, just the start and finish. Once I got rolling, I just kept going. But the whole works is a rather simple affair, and easy enough to build something simular if you take the notion. The reason for this particular design is so I can bolt it down to the drillpress base and hook up to the drill chuck and let it do it's thing while I get something else ready. The drill press at it's lowest speed and a 2 to 1 reduction works out to a decent speed for the shaker. With a fresh battery and wide open, a hand held drill is to fast and it would soon shake itself to death. Variable speed drill works great, or a slow drill press.

Pic 1, 2 and 3. The old base, stripped down, holes and slots welded up.

Pic 4 Shows the underside, a bit of bracing and the lower bearings.

Pic 5 End of clamp rail.

Pic 6 Overall view,

Pic 7 Paint can loaded and drill attached.

Pic 8 Clamp end, 9 Other end.

Pic 10 Shaken up a storm!!

Just need a shield over the chain drive, and it will be declared done. Ta-da!!

Attachments

• Paint Shaker 1.jpg
    Paint Shaker 1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Paint Shaker 2.jpg
    Paint Shaker 2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Paint Shaker 3.jpg
    Paint Shaker 3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Paint Shaker 4.jpg
    Paint Shaker 4.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Paint Shaker 5.jpg
    Paint Shaker 5.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Paint Shaker 6.jpg
    Paint Shaker 6.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Paint Shaker 7.jpg
    Paint Shaker 7.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 157
  • Paint Shaker 8.jpg
    Paint Shaker 8.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Paint Shake 9.jpg
    Paint Shake 9.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Paint Shaker  10.jpg
    Paint Shaker 10.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
If you used some different gears maybe off a bicycle, etc. you could set it up to lock in a 2 speed drill and hang it on the wall. Probably won't need it that much though, huh.

Like the color choice - says industrial.

Your right about how much something like this gets used, a flurry of activity and then sits for awhile. At least until enough stuff gets built and it's time to paint again. I'm going to make a couple of plywood inserts so I can use it for quart/liter cans and rattle cans as well. I really dislike standing around shaking cans of paint, drives me nuts. Pet peeve I guess. So I built this instead. So far it's kept me out of trouble.:rolleyes:

Wow Sniper, very cool. Like Sam Fear said, bike sprockets could dial in your final rpm. Looks like you got this project pretty dialed, but just so you know for future reference the BMX kids now have front chainrings anywhere from 46 to 25and rear sprockets any where from 9 to 17. Personally I run 25:9, but since the last time I rode I think I broke my nose landing face first in the grass (luckily) I think I've finally outgrown that hobby.

This is absolutely a very cool idea. My hat is off to you. [cl

I've been looking around for a used paint shaker on Craigslist, I figure with all the places going under one should show up. Wish now I hadn't put two good chopsaws in the dumpster a while back because they were never used and in our way. Our local Home Depot has been good about shaking our car paint for us, but I feel sheepish every time I take some in to them.

We had a shaker at my last job and every so often it would walk across the floor and spill the contents all over the place. :eek: We had to educate our guys not to turn it on and go to the bathroom.

Don

Good use of stuff laying around for a great idea,also gave me some solutions on a alum can crusher I wanted to build.LOL

I've been watching CL myself for a paint shaker. I'd really like to find a 5 gallon model, but haven't even seen a 1 gallon. I have this crazy idea about putting plasma cut parts in a 5 gallon paint bucket along with some gravel and water a letting it knock the dross off, debur the edges, and even clean all the mill scale off. What do y'all think of that idea?

I have this crazy idea about putting plasma cut parts in a 5 gallon paint bucket along with some gravel and water a letting it knock the dross off, debur the edges, and even clean all the mill scale off. What do y'all think of that idea?

Give it a try and let us know how it works.:)

tubing clamp tool

Here is a simple tool I made many years ago for making small tubing clamps for frame mounting tubing. Like 3/16" and 1/4" brake tube and 3/8" fuel line.
Just a short section of 1" square bar stock with a "U" shape formed in one end (see attached) I use 1" X 1/8" flat stock for the clamp and a drill bit for tubing size. Arrange like picture in a shop press and bend the clamp then drill a small mounting hole in the clamp. Shown are single and double clamps.

have fun
Tom

Attachments

• tube clamp maker.jpg
    tube clamp maker.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 33
  • tube clamp maker (6).jpg
    tube clamp maker (6).jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Back