Opinions?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR55

It's just a little surface rust!
[S I know this isn't Rat Rod related, but I respect most people's opinions on here so I ask....I need to replace my tired old 94 Silverado with 288,000 trouble free miles with something else. I'm getting tired of putting gas in this monster as it only gets about 11-13 miles per gallon on a good day and if I'm towing my trailer, which I have to do quite often, it gets less than 11! :eek: It has a 305 in it. I'm kind of leaning towards either a Dakota or Ranger (not a new one) with a V-6. Do you think either one will tow the trailer with maybe a ton on it not counting the weight of the trailer? It's an 18 foot car trailer. I don't plan on towing cars with it, just construction material for my business. I really don't want to go the V8 route if I can help it. All opinions considered!.....Thanks for your input...CR

I'v been driving Dodge diesel's for quite a while, 17-21 mpg, and lots of power.
current "new" truck is a 1995 1ton, pull anything, looks ok, 15mpg with weight behind it, 20 empty, 350,0000 miles.
do not want to start the Ford/Chev/Dodge argument,
just what I got n' why.

Why not convert yours to a rebuilt 350? I have an '88 GMC that gets 17 MPG and it has the 350, I think your 305 is worn out and a new engine would be cheaper than a good used truck.

I would at least have a full size truck. I see a lot of people pulling trailers with small trucks and they are all over the road. I used to pull my 24ft enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton Suburbun and it did the job but the wind would push it around even with the weight disterbution hitch. I bought a 1 ton and you dont even know its there. You could replace the engine in your truck for about the same as 3-4 truck payments.
Tim

Just an experience I had. Bought a brand new 03 Dodge Dakota quad cab with the 3.9 litre V6 and the stick in it and it was a gutless gas guzzler! I have talked to other Dakota owners with the v8 in it and they love it. Lots of power and not bad on fuel.

both would pull it, neither would be much better on gas
have you looked at the new nissan pickups? (how DARE I!)
i know -- but theyre work horses we have one at the shop we
use and it can pull a trailer all day long --
pretty sure weve put near 1 ton
in the bed [ddd it was sitting a little funny but drove fine
im sure if you beefed up the rear suspension a bit
it would have been just fine.

oh yea - i have a 98 dakota with a v6 also - it only gets about 15 mpg --
better than 11 but not buy much .. my buddy's 98 7.3liter diesel gets about the same and he could drag my dakota sideways down the road- course gas is about 30 cents more for him (RIGHT NOW) but thats always subject to change... wasnt too long ago diesel was less than reg. unleaded.

No Dakotas ever got better mileage than a good 350 Chevy. The Ford Ranger 4.0 is a great engine but 17 or so is about the best they will average, maybe 20 on a good one. I have a 4.0 all wheel drive Aerostar and can get 19 or so on the highway.
A few years ago I was managing a fleet and we had a 99 Suburban with a 350. It banged out 19 on the highway and 16-17 with a light trailer full of band gear. And that was full of college kids that drove the snot out of it. I don't think you can get a small pickup to do any better than that.
I would also love to have a Cummins, bad thing is you have to drive a Dodge to get one. And if you are used to a chevy, that dodge will wear you out. You really have to sit up and drive those Dodges, the 4x4 anyway. They require constant input on the steering wheel.
I would like to have amid 90s F-150 with a 4BT. Good power, tow 10,000 pretty easy and 25-28 mpg.

if your going to tow that kind of weight and often i would suggest staying away from a smaller truck, especially a V6. have you thought about an older used diesel? i drive a 3/4 ton dodge with the cummins and a 5 speed and constantly see 17+mpg driving to and from work and around town and 20+ on the hwy.

Thanks guys. I'm looking for mileage over towing capacity. I've had numerous 350's and EVERY one of them was a gas hog, don't want that! I seem to do a bit more travelling in my job these days. My truck is not worth the time or money to install another engine as it's rusting out and the suspension needs some work also. There's just too many things starting to go bad. You've given me something to think about..CR

Not many carbed 350s ever got good mileage but those vortec 350s do pretty good usually. A 302 Ford f150 isn't bad for a full sized pickup. I had a 96 that got 16-17 on the freeway, made almost 20 with a tail wind. And it towed a car hauler just fine. I think one with a 5 speed might do a little better.

My 1989 crew cab F-350 with fuel injected 460 gets 12-14. Not much diffrence pulling my enclosed trailer. A small truck will be working hard all the time pulling a trailer. MPG may be a little better but it will be hard on a small truck.
Tim

I have a 1999 Dakota SLT extended cab 4X4 w/318 V8 auto. I only get about 11 around town and about 13 on the hiway...not great but it won't get stuck in the snow. With Rock Climbing tires, this thing is better than a snowmobile!

I had an 02 quad cab dakota with the 4.7 V8 and it did ok on fuel mileage, it was over 15mpg on the interstate, and probably could have been better with a clean air filter, and non restrictive exhaust. the best part about that truck is it would go anywhere. drove through 2 feet of snow like it was nothing.

I have a '96 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 with the 360. I towed my '32 3 window on a trailer and got 18 mpg. with the OD off. The only thing I did was add headers and a hi-flo air filter.

Latest posts

Back