Original Antique Plates

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmel

Anybody here running original plates from the original year your car was made? Any issues or problems getting the DMV to accept the plate?

I just purchased an original '27 Texas Plate and plan on having it registered to my Roadster. I think it has a nice mixture of fade & rust, but not so bad that i don't think it'll have any problems passing any inspection - at least i hope not. I'm not sure how picky the DMV is.

Another concern is that i only have one plate. When reading up on the DMV sight, it states that both plates are required....but when i applied for my antique tags, they only gave me one plate - so i'm hoping that this won't be a problem.

Anybody have any experience with this? How picky is the DMV? I have a friend with a '30 Model A who seems to recall that he went in with only one original 1930 plate that was beat to hell and passed without any issues, but at a different time and county, he took in original '55 plates and played hell trying to get those registered because the lady behind the counter couldn't read and thought they were suppose to be black plates with yellow lettering...said that they were wrong colors and wouldn't pass them.

If i have issues, i'll just have an $80 piece of wall art for my cubicle at work. :(

Different

Im sure each state has their own laws, but as a rule "Antique" plates are different than "YOM (Year Of Manufacture) plates. I have ran both. Currently run Antique/Historic vehicle plates on my 48 Playmouth. But, they have regulations. To qualify for those, you can only drive so many miles a year (5000 in Michigan). You must of course carry classic car insurance, and the plates are good for 10 years. YOM plates are different, and act as regular plates, except you provide your own plates of the year of manufacture that can be found at swap meets etc. The plates have to be original DMV issued plates from the year of the manufacture of the car, AND be issued by the state you are registering them in, be in good repair (legible), and if the state requires two plates, or one, you have to have the number of plated applicable. Michigan only requires a rear plate, (no front) so in Michigan ya only need the one. I ran 1930 plates on my Ford Model A in California and they required two. I ran 1949 plates in Texas on my 49 GMC, and had to have two per the DMV. 1st you aquire the plates, take them and the number to the DMV and apply for a registration for them and stating you have the plates with said number. The number goes into the database to be sure there are no duplicate numbers. If they come back clear and not in use, you are granted a registration for those plates on that specific car. After that is all done, you simply go through the regular registration process every year as you would any state issued plate..

Hope that helps, but check with your local DMV in your state. Rules may vary. But that is how I have worked it in Texas, California, and Michigan.

By the way..

From my experiance in Texas, the plates can be repainted, BUT have to be painted in their original color with reflective paint if it had it originally. They may, or may not check for reflective paint, depends on the person at the counter to check. I painted mine in Texas the color of Texas plates (white with black letters) and they denied them, because in 1949, the Texas Plates were Yellow with black letters. So, I took them and repainted them again the original colors of the plates, and they passed them the 2nd go round.

Plates

In Fla you can do it,the DMV just does a check to make sure the tags aren"t already registered to someone else. We also have collector plates to. Its kind of hard in Fla to find real old plates in useable condition,they have all rusted away.:cool:

In Texas you will need both plates and they will have to ok them for use. They didn't start using reflective paint until around 1970 so you would be ok, if you had 2 plates. They have to be in good condition, not too faded or beat up.

I'll probably bitch a little bit about needing two plates if they deny me...they only give you one plate when you register it as an antique anyway - due to that, i fail to understand why a second plate in this instance would be necessary. But...on that note, the law is the law - i get that. Basically will be at the mercy of whoever is handling my request.

The plate is in pretty good shape for 84 years old. I'm debating on whether or not i want to clean it up some, or just leave it as is. Thinking of leaving it as is at this point.

C0UhnwCWkKGrHqRiQE0HO53knBNEonii7pw_12.jpg

Inspection of the plate...

Is up to the person doing the paperwork behind the counter. many of them are too lazy, or just dont care so ya get away with it. But even if you do, and you put plates on your car that can't be read from a certain distance, it is a cops descresion to stop you and ticket you for it. That also goes for if you get cleared with only one plate because they didn't ask, or check. Bottom line, its still up to you to obey the law and playing ignorance of the law isn't a defense. So, if you do require two plates, and they dont check and pass ya, you can still get pulled over and ticketed for not having the 2nd plate.

that said, if your car is cool to the cops, many times, they are too busy to look because they are checking the car out, or they cut ya a break because they like your car. But, just keep in mind, getting passed because of a clerk is too lazy to check it like they are supposed to, don't save ya from the laws.. Just food for thought...

Oh yeah, I want to add..

Check the number of plates for that year. IF the DMV only issued one plate in the YOM of the car and plate, THEN you will only be required to have one plate. It all depends of the YOM of the car. Same goes for safety inspections. I used to have only one tail light on my 49 GMC. Even tho it was a highly modified hot rod, it was still registered as a 1949 Texas truck, and two tail lights were not original equipment until 1951 (if my memory serves). So, I was only required by law to have only one tail light on the left hand rear of the truck. IF I did have one on the right (which was an "option" in 1949), it would have to work, but if there wasn't one there, ya don't have to have it. I used to have fun with the cops on that law... lol.. Also applies to seat belts (altho I suggest getting them anyway). But if the seat belts are not original equipment, ya dont have to have them. Just sayin..So bottom line, the registration, and safety inspections have to only abide by the laws of the year the vehicle was built and originally registered. I have done allot of research on those laws because being a rebel, I like to stay "just" on the right side to make it interesting, hahhah. I suggest reading up on the laws of the year of the car you are building and/or driving.. its good to know them for those cop/citizen roadside arguments.. lol

All my cars except the Chevelle have orig plates. And yes... in Texas both plates are required to get your car registered with maybe the exception of farm trucks but I'm not really sure of that either. They also have to be a real number issued by the state. They have a book with *every* plate ever made. I seriously doubt you can get it done with just one! Over the years I have run only one plate on the rear & have never been stopped for it or ticketed although I usually carry the 2nd plate with me just in case so I can say it just fell off! :eek::D[S[ddd

BoB

I guess i'm still hung up on why they only give you one plate when you register it as an antique then.

Texas requires both plates, then why does the DMV only give you one. Or is it year specific?

I guess i'm still hung up on why they only give you one plate when you register it as an antique then.

Texas requires both plates, then why does the DMV only give you one. Or is it year specific?

I'm not sure that's correct but I never register that way.

BoB

I dont know why, but registering it as an antique and getting a plate that says "Historic Vehicle", or "Antique Vehicle" is a completely different process and class of registration. It is for antique cars, and parade cars and has lots of restrictions on them. Kind of like getting an "RV" plate for a camper, or motorhome. Completley different set of rules, and not the same as YOM plates. YOM are regular plates, and registrations, and have to be renewed every year just like a new plate. My Historic Vehicle plate only has to be re-registered every 10 years, and I can only drive it no more than 5000 miles per year. Im not sure how they police that, but it has lots of restrictions on it.

Check the year of your plate, and car, like I said, IF they only had one plate in that year, then you are golden.. But if they still had two for that year, ya got to have the 2nd. I would just hit the swap meets and find ya another set and pin that one up in your garage as art. They're not too costly for a set. I still have my 1949 plates...

I dont know why, but registering it as an antique and getting a plate that says "Historic Vehicle", or "Antique Vehicle" is a completely different process and class of registration. It is for antique cars, and parade cars and has lots of restrictions on them. Completley different set of rules, and not the same as YOM plates. YOM are regular plates, and registrations, and have to be renewed every year just like a new plate.

Not everywhere. In Ohio YOM plates are historical vehicle plates, not yearly renewals. If you want to run a YOM plate you present it when applying for your historical registration. You are still issued a historical plate with it's own number, but the YOM plate number is also registered to it. You can run the YOM plate on your vehicle, but you must also keep the state-issued historical plate in the vehicle along with your registration. Kind of a hassle, but our historical registrations are good for 50 years.

Your best bet is always to check with your local DMV. Laws can very greatly from state to state...

Did find this about Texas YOM

1. The vehicle must be at least 25 years old

2. The license plates must have been made in the same year as the vehicle.

3. You must use a matching pair of license plates (both plate's numbers must be the same) if the plates were originally issued in pairs. Texas only issued single plates in 1945 and 1946.

4. The license plates must be the same color as they were originally issued. (You cannot repaint the plates to match the color of your car. For example, 1955 plates must have black letters with an orange background.)

5. The plates do not have to be restored or perfect originals, but must be in good condition and the numbers must be legible. (Large areas of paint or reflective sheeting cannot be missing, and the numbers must be easily readable. The plate's background area can have some holes in it, but any holes present cannot alter the numbers or distort their legibility. Some rust is acceptable, so long as it does not make the plate infirm or affect the number legibility.)

6. The plates can be repainted by hand or with machinery, so long as original colors and color scheme are used and the numbers are legible.

7. It is not necessary to verify that the serial number on the Year of Manufacture plates is not currently in use before using the plates.

8. Providing the vehicle and license plates meet all of the above requirements, you can register the same vehicle either as an antique or a classic, using the same Y.O.M. license plates, depending solely on how you will use the vehicle:

A. An antique vehicle is used only for parades, civic events, and club activities (plus a limited amount of maintenance driving). It cannot carry advertising signs or be used as a normal means of transportation. The cost to register as an Antique is approximately $60.00 for a full 5-year period. Antique vehicles do not require inspection stickers and a liability insurance waiver is available from the Texas Department of Public Safety.

B. A classic vehicle can be used in the same manner as any other vehicle. It can carry advertising signs and be driven daily. The cost to register a vehicle as a Classic is the same as the cost to register any other vehicle of its class. A classic vehicle requires an inspection sticker and must carry liability insurance.

They have changed the rules some since I was running YOM 6 years ago. The rule number 8 especially. You did not have to have a classic inspected back then and you could not have it with your business advertising on the side, like commercial use.
One thing, the original plates were never designed to run multiple years back when. I got an unissued set of 1969 truck plates and within 3 years the front one had lost much of it's paint and started to rust.

Rules may vary from state to state.

No doubt rules can greatly vary from state to state as I mentioned way in the beginning of the thread. So, always check your local state laws.

When I lived in Houston and built my 49 GMC, I had 1949 Texas Truck Plates, but I was also required to have a state issued inspection sticker. But, I got in some arguments with inspection techs because they would try to inspect it with current regulations, and every year I had to explain to those people that it ONLY had to conform to the safety standards of the YOM (1949) which fortunatly for me, were pretty much non-exsistance for trucks in 1949. Every year I had to explain and show them the regulations for tail lights (remember I mentioned my 49 only had one). Every year they tried to fail it because it only had one tail light.

In North Carolina you are allowed to run year of manufacture plates,But you must have the current plate and registration in your vehicle to show the Pd when they ask for it. I've been running old plates for several years now without anyone ever asking to see the real plate.

This post inspired me....

This thread inspired me to find a 1948 Michigan plate for my Plymouth. It's been registered as a "Historic" vehicle now for almost 9 years here in Michigan. It's 10 year historic plate is going to expire next year. I decided to go ahead and find a YOM plate for it, to get out from under the restrictions of being registered as "historic". In a nick of time, I found a plate in very good condition, and only gave .99 for it, plus $6 shipping. $7 total for the plate, I am a happy camper.

She's beautiful isn't she? Eleanor is gonna love her new jewelery I'm sure. My daughter is gonna be jumping up and down too.. [cl

165565_194913313857800_100000173975723_814779_7168667_n.jpg

Back