OSR, CKD & the old standard... Hot Rod!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind a few tats, but I wonder what some of these chicks are going to look like when they turn 60 and have these all over their bodies. :eek::eek: Usually by then nature gives you some free tatoos anyway. :D:D

Don

I was there when

Got my 1st tattoo at 17 , 53 years ago , still looks good , some of my others have started to fade .My generation ushered in Rythim and blues ,Alan Freed ,The platters,Johnny Ace ,Marlin Brando The Wild One ,Smoke from your cigarette clouds my eyes,Ling ting tong , jeans rolled up 1 small turn, white tee shirts with the sleeves rolled up and a pack of luckys under one sleeve. Eddie my love. Sailor boys have talked to me in english.Fats Domino,little richard. $1 dollars worth of gas lasted 2 days. Engineer boots , wide black belts with the buckle on the side.And of course greasy ducks ass hair dos . Cars with skirts , tails dragin on the ground ,nosed and decked with lead.painted white walls and straight pipes.Juke boxes that gave you 6 songs for a quarter. And when we turned 18 Piels beer on tap for a dime. Then we grew up , Viet Nam came and ****ed the whole nation up. Lyndon Johnsons Great Society turned people into slaves again. We have come a long way in 53 years some of it very very good,but it will never be as good as it was.So seeing young people trying in their own way to emulate what I had in the 50's doesnt bother me at all. I wish them luck even its make believe.Life is make believe- some just do a better job than others.I really am Ol Skool LFE

Last edited:
I know I'm not as old as LFE, 70 is a good age for brggen rights. But since I am only 50, I did live through some of the good old days during the 60's and 70's and with cool hot rods and the mini skirts, and the shortties the girls sported around in. But like was said earlier, you never saw any woman or girl out sporting around in public as a tease, like some do nowadays at these gatherings. It was down outright immoral for a girl to do such a thing and for a man to push a girl into such an act was better known as a pimp, or rather a piece of shat. Sure us guys try to sneak a peak under a womans skirt, but that is the way we are suppose to be, simple guys intised by the opposite gender.
It's a turn off to see a woman prancing around like a little pole dancer out in public, mainly because they have no self-respect and the POS that is pushing them into doing this is mainly lower then dirt. its onething to go to a go-go show and watch these type of shows indoors, but to have it thrown in our faces and at public gatherings, this is one deterant that keeps me and my family away from such events. I have several children, boys and girls of all ages, and to attend a gathering and have my children subjected to such dis-respect is not my style. They love hotrods and the races as much as I do, but always ask questions of why people are the way they are when this type of actions take place.
Sorry folks, I was raised to have morral values a bit higher then allowing my girls to run around in their under garments for the public to see.

Maximo

the cuff rolled up the regulation 3 7/8",,, Now miss herself, thats only on the east coast, if your in cali, you must have the manditory 6" cuff.

I often wonder if these new age 50's copycats even know why the guys had one pant leg rolled up higher than the other. or why the women had both pant legs rolled up.

I don't have much to add here. Not sure about the whole lifestyle thing either. I don't know diddly about cars and working on them. I'm trying to learn and plan on taking on manageable tasks. Last thing I need is my car sitting in the drive because I took on something more then I could handle or had tools for.

I still love OSR and CKD and for me it is about the pics. I've always loved the creativeness with the cars and how people did their interiors, pinstriping and fabrication.

You don't have a choice but to live life and go thru fads. I'm sure we've all been there and participated one way or another. Dig out your pictures. What is in today may not be what's in tomorrow but it sure could be in 20 years from now. The 50's, 60's, 70's...ect You can think of exactly how the dress was and lifestyle.
There's always going to be a generation trying to connect with the happier times in their past. It's human nature. It's also human nature to want to connect period! If that means copying something you love then so be it.

Now I realize this is different then getting on the bandwagon because something seems the in thing. Jumping off that onto the next fad.

I'm talking about people that found the past that they felt closest to. By nature we're drawn to a certain color. Style. Theme for our homes...ect
What you feel inside.
I don't dress with the rolled up pants, the hair or the tats. I don't use catchy phrases. Music, I'm open to all of it so I'm not exclusive to rockabilly, old country or rock. I like most of it. But when it comes to my tast in cars that's never gonna change. The first car I learned how to drive in was my dads 56 buick. I've just always been drawn to the old cars. So much body style and chrome. Big steering wheels and neat accessories that you can add. Never has it been possible to put so much personality into a car then in those times. What can you do now? Seat covers, steering wheel covers and that flower for your new vw bug?

No, I'm catching up on a time I wasn't lucky enough to be a part of. If that makes me a poser so be it.

By my standards and limited mechanical abilities both mags still live up to my expectations. Which I realize might not be saying much. what do I have to drawl from? I wish I had better mechanical skills I really do and maybe I'd see the mags differently. I still get excited seeing those special touches on a car that I wasn't expecting to see.

I may be missing the whole point. I do that. But if that's so then what is it exactly you expect from them? What's missing? Enlighten me.

I don't go to a car show for the tech. I go to see the cars and vendors. I'm sure there's 100's of ideas I could gleam off the cars there if only I knew what I was looking at. Custom ideas...ect

But oh wait, isn't that the same thing we seem to have a problem with? Bandwagon? Fad? So one person has an awesome idea it gets copied by many and so now what? You're hardcore because you stuck with it longer?

Life is lifestyle. We can't nor do we want to escape it. We have nowhere else to go. Whatever new fad is out there we ALL take part. We just seem to want to draw lines for somebody else.

Just my 02.

Sys

I often wonder if these new age 50's copycats even know why the guys had one pant leg rolled up higher than the other. or why the women had both pant legs rolled up.

I think now one up higher then the other was advertising the fact that you are a player. What did it mean back then?

A little stale!

I may be missing the whole point. I do that. But if that's so then what is it exactly you expect from them? What's missing? Enlighten me.

Sys,
I'm an oldster & an very avid reader... I just thought the 2 mentioned mags had gotten pretty stale & predictable, on the other hand I thought Hot Rod had really freshened up their act. As far as teh lifestyle issue... I'm pretty much a live & let live guy. Many of the older guys are right... old rodders weren't tatted up but tats have taken on a life of their own in recent years. In my youth... it was long hair! Now us oldsters wish we just had hair!!! ; - >

BoB

Last edited:
Its all a matter of OPINION.We all have them and the right to voice them.I don`t care for certain fads,but It doesn`t bother me the way others dress or ink themselves up or the way they walk around in public.Its their business.Our kids see worse stuff on tv and in school.As long as they aren`t causing any problems.Its 2007,change isn`t always what we like but Sh#t happens.

I think now one up higher then the other was advertising the fact that you are a player. What did it mean back then?

Good try.

The right pant leg was rolled up higher than the other because they rode a bike with no chain guard. The cuff would always get caught between the chain and the sprocket if you didn't roll it up higher than the chain.

The girls rolled theirs up to mid calf to show a little skin. They remembered their grandmothers saying in their day it was risque for a lady to show an ankle. Also, their mothers and grandmothers worked in the factories during WWII. They wore the same overalls as the men. They were thick, heavy, and long legged. The women rolled the pant legs up to keep from dragging the floor. During the summer, they would roll them up to mid calf to let air circulate around their legs. This fashion was carried over into the early fifties.

Too funny!

Good try.

The right pant leg was rolled up higher than the other because they rode a bike with no chain guard. The cuff would always get caught between the chain and the sprocket if you didn't roll it up higher than the chain.

Lakota,
Wow... I had forgotten about that!!! For some reason I could never keep a chain guard on my bike. I gnarled up plenty of pant legs from that!!! ; - >

BoB

just observin here

At the Carslile truck show this weekend there were lots of tats on both sexes. also lots of skin being shown , but actually less than you will see on any beach these days.There were some really bad taste tee shirts being worn. There were also more families walking around than I remember in past shows ,most of them were spectators , lots of small kids-at least 50 of them got their pic taken in Ratzilla. I asked my 11 yr old grandson about it and he says he has heard it all on the school bus and in school .So instead of pretending it doesnt exist or trying to shelter him from it ,we walk thru the mine field and Im teaching him how to handle it. Hell we were cussin and smokin before the 8th grade.Back to the original theme of this post , I read Goodguys mag cause its all pictures and Old Skool rods and thats it.LFE

Last edited:
It is not just you. I still like looking but it seems to be the same magazine month after month. looks to me like they found a winning combo on the first few issues, and are afraid to expand on what they started with. They took pictures of my grill, and my seats, but my truck is too far away from the formula I think.

Yeah I saw that to, and was quiet disappointed that they didn't show your entire truck. It sure does deserve more than in got. I can't figure out what they have been thinking, but yes it seems like they've gotten tame.

Latest posts

Back