PVC and Vacuum Leaks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
In a recent post a member was asking about a stalling condition and I had mentioned checking for vacuum leaks, and in particular, check for a missing bolt in the front of the small block Chev that goes directly into the crankcase. Some members don't agree with that vacuum leak scenario, some are saying it would only leak oil since it's in the crankcase area. And some are a bit baffled how it could be all tied together. So...if your still interested, I'll try to explain this as best as I can.

First of all, an engine needs to be vented to atmosphere. In other words, vented to the outside air. Used to be in the past, it was done through a 3/4 to 1 inch pipe, (called a road draft tube) and any blowby was dumped to atmosphere. Quite often you could see an oil mist/condensation mixture and a few drops (or sometimes, a lot of drops of oil) oil, which for the most part, was returned to liquid oil as it was being condensed from a oil mist as it touched the cooler, or cold road draft tube.

Now enter the powers that be, and for various reasons, proclaim that we can't be doing this practice any longer, and lo and behold, the PCV system is born. So the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system is taking over where the road draft tube has left off. Instead of dumping the blowby overboard, it's now contained, and recirculated to be burnt along with the fuel/air mixture. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's a couple thousand words worth of pictures.

The first drawing shows a regular PCV system. The system will only work properly, if the engine is sealed. Whoa!! Hold on a second, you said the engine needs to be vented. How can it be sealed, and vented at the same time?
Well, it goes like this, all gaskets and seals have to be doing their job. And their job is to keep the oil and water in the proper areas, and keep the outside air...outside. No air leaking into the crankcase area from the pan gasket, timing chain cover, crank seals, or past the tappet cover gaskets, or by the intake gasket/seals. When we look at the first drawing, this is the ideal set up. Good gaskets and seals, no leaks in or out, engine running providing a good vacuum. Working our way backwards from the vacuum source we can see what's happening. The intake plenum, just below the carb base is where the vacuum source is, when the engine is operating. The vac line (quite often 3/8 steel tubing) goes from this area to a short rubber hose to the PVC check valve. The valve is pushed into a snug fitting rubber grommet that seals both the valve and the hole that it's in, in the tappet cover itself. From there, the entire internal area of the engine is subjected to a negative pressure, or vacuum. Since we have to feed that vacuum it is done in two ways, one is by a vent, and the other is by the blowby that we're trying to control. That is the whole reason for this exercise, so the blowby doesn't get dumped to atmophere. Now the vent is located on the opposite tappet cover and is attached by a hose to the breather housing and the incoming vent air has it's own small filter to control dirt infiltration.

Now, lets start at the vent end of things, fresh filtered air is drawn in through the breather housing, down the hose to the tappet cover. Under the cover, through the various holes in the head casting, (oil drain holes, hole where pushrods come up through etc.) and the air sweeps across the crankcase area picking up the blowby gasses and continues on up through the various holes in the second head. Into the tappet cover area and through the PCV valve, hose, steel tube and into the intake plenum below the carb and finally down each runner and being drawn into the cylinders as the valves open in sequence. The air/fuel mix along with the blowby gasses are burnt and flow out the tailpipe.....except for the tiny little smidge of blowby that gets to do the whole trip all over again.

So are we done? Not quite. (Don't you want to know how this ends??)

So now, lets upset the process. We have a vac leak. Small block Chevs have their own little bugaboo's and quirks. Tin tappet covers have a habit of getting a bit out of shape when over tightened, and wah-la..a vac leak and a poor running engine. The rubber seals at the ends of the intake can be a problem as well, same results if they leak. And since the entire internal area of the engine is under a vacuum, you can get the same results from a bad pan gasket, tappet cover gasket and or seal. Rear main seal, distributor gasket, even if the seal is bad, or missing from the dipstick. (Yeah, there's a little rubber seal in there too.) And last, but not least a rather large vac leak if your missing the bolt/seal at the front of the engine where it goes through to the fuel pump push rod area. After all, that area is under vacuum also.;)

The second picture shows the path when air is drawn in through the open bolt hole in blue. Yellow dots are motor mount holes, the red one is the one that goes right through to the inside of the engine. It may leak oil when you shut down and things are draining back to the pan, but it won't leak if it's running and there is a vacuum, it will just slurp any oil back in.

Attachments

• 41921072.gif
    41921072.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Path of vac leak.jpg
    Path of vac leak.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
At first I thought...no way. the filtered air coming in is at atmospheric pressure so it wouldn't matter if it sneaking past a gasket or through a bolt hole.

But I got to thinking about it which I haven't done in many years.

I've always wondered why if the PCV is a metered vacuum leak why plugging the valve off doesn't make so much of a difference as plugging a pure vacuum leak.

Blowby for the most part is already burned. it wouldn't upset the air/fuel ratio so much as pure air
And the unburned vaporized hydrocarbons from fuel that had escaped the rings during compression, and the oil breaking down into smaller molecules and boiling off into a vapor... would mix appropriately with incoming air to be burned in the combustion chamber.

So if the air leaks in through a bolt hole or past a gasket without making the full trip and picking up any carbons it sure would be throwing off the air fuel mixture wouldn't it.

The PCV valve opens under low vacuum. this might be an accident of engineering or it might have something to do with the fact that the engine creates more blowby when under load and vacuum is lower.
Under high vacuum it might close off completely but on my vehicles it pulsates... probably to meter the flow

some reasons why for the PCV:
road draft tubes create dangerous greasy black strips down the center of traffic lanes
PCV brings unburned Hydrocarbons back into the combustion process to convert them into water and CO2
PCV cleans the dirty vapors from the crankcase so the oil stays cleaner (you hit that already)
PCV brings some exhaust back into the combustion chamber under low vacuum high load conditions to damp combustion and reduce NOx formation and stop ping.
NOx... Nitric Oxide is created under high pressure and high heat. instead of the carbon combining with atmospheric Oxygen.. it combines with atmospheric Nitrogen. NOs isn't NOS, it's a molecule short but it is a gas.
When NOx goes out into the atmosphere it combines with water to make nitric acid contributing to acid rain.
Sulpher in fuel creates sulphuric acid in the atmoshere.

PCV/EGR It doesn't stop combustion it just slows it down a bit and cools the peak heat flash a bit....the same effect you get from burning high octane gas but in a different way.
EGR accomplishes the same detonation and NOx formation damping effect.

So does the reversion of exhaust back into the cylinder at low engine speeds that occurs with radical cams running high periods of overlap.
They found this out when CARB testing performance cams and found some to run cleaner than factory grinds.

On the street, running street gas..PCV is a good thing all around it has no negative effect.

On the track running racing gas... your not worried about ping or emissions.

Thanks for clearing up those old unanswered questions I had but never really thought about.

Something else I'd like to add
Racers have discovered that running the crankcase in a near perfect vacuum has a benefit.

When the pistons go up and down not only are they throwing oil around... thus the dry sump system and crank scrapers...

Those pistons are pumping air back and forth between them
Racers found that when they designed their dry sump oil scavengers to vacuum all the air from the crankcase they unlocked lost horsepower that the pistons were wasting sloshing all that air around..
And they experienced better ring seal and less ring flutter.

Torchmann, you bring up a lot of good points. At first glance the PCV and system looks to simple to have much affect on the operation of an engine. But the whole works goes a lot deeper than we sometimes understand, so all that engineering and money spent by the car companys, gets tossed by the tinkering and experiments we do. (I'm just as guilty as the next guy. I'm just improving things.:rolleyes:) The results of changes, or unintentional vacuum leaks can be far reaching as performance goes, (both good and bad) or as simple as oil accumalating in the breather and soaking the air filter. (caused by vacuum leaks) As simple as it looks, there is a lot going on in there.:)

fortunately, if you register as a 20s, 30s, 40s or even 50s vehicle you don't legally require a PCV system. :) i prefer a filtered breather on each valve cover. potentially messy? sure. liable to cause a poor running engine? not so much...

Attachments

• edelbrock.jpg
    edelbrock.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back