Rear Trailing Arms

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_J

My son and I came up with an idea for our rear suspension. We both really like the look of the original '36 rear wishbones. I've seen others use them with an open drive and they all have added additional supports to deal with the torque of the rear axle since the enclosed drive no longer carries that load.

I used threaded bungs for the front end and for the rear I will build my own bracket. We cut off the old cast or forged bracket and will make the new part from two pieces of 1/4" steel plate with a 3/8" spacer between them that will extend a few inches inside the tube. This lower mount will be in double shear.

We are then adding a new tube made from 7/8" DOM that I threaded 5/8"-18 for a clevis for the top mount. Here is a picture of the basic layout. We think we will also add a piece of plate between the two tubes about half way.

Anyone see any issues going this route?

controlArm.jpg

Nope that's a good plan. You are essentially turning them into a ladder bar setup. If you angle them toward each other at the front mount you will triangulate the setup and eliminate the need for a panhard as well...

Yes, the plan is to have the bars angled in with about 10" between them at the front mounted just outside a drive shaft loop.

Latest posts

Back