Some good news, some bad news.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

We buttoned up my Son's T bucket last night after going through the whole car to correct the handling problems he was having.......it was wandering a little, and would sometimes go into a death wobble when he nailed it.

We basically realigned everything, caster, wheelbase, toe in, etc. We also replaced the one bent rim and had all the tires rebalanced. Biggest thing we did was pull off the GM front brakes and replace them with a much lighter set of Wilwood discs. Took it out for a test drive and it is an entirely different car. :D Tracks straight as an arrow, and he can now get on it hard and not a hint of shake. I feel so good about that, knowing he will now be safer in it.

But the bad news is the transmission crapped out on the way home........acted like it was in neutral. I towed him home with my car, and called TCI today. It is a brand new Streetfighter C4 and 2800 stall converter.

When I told the guy the symptoms he said immediately he knew probably what it was...........the splines on either the input shaft or the torque converter rounded out. I asked how that happens, and he offered a very general explanation that it does happen from time to time. I think he knows more, and they may be having a rash of these occurring, or at least a few others. He said send the tranny back and they will take care of it.

That is going to be the fun part...........the whole engine and tranny has to come out which makes it necessary to tear half the car apart. Don is really bummed out over all the problems this car has been having. I can't say I blame him, especially since virtually every part is brand new or completely rebuilt. I sure hope this is the end of it.

But at least his new brakes work great. Here is a picture of those.

Don

Attachments

• dons t new front brakes 013.jpg
    dons t new front brakes 013.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 42
  • dons t new front brakes 012.jpg
    dons t new front brakes 012.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 49
Ah, the joys of hot rod building! I have the same brakes on my Crosley and like them a lot. Only problem is they don't hold with the line lock at the strip. Probably isn't the brake's fault, could be the builder (me).

Well, he did notice that the engine wanted to drive the car through the redlights a little. I think he was so used to those big GM brakes that these are a little lighter. I sure like them though. I have a little drag altered in mind that I want to build sometime, and I am going to use these for sure.

Don

Well I'm glad about the good news Don, but that's a bummer about the transmission. I haven't had any trouble with my TCI's.

It's funny, I did just the opposite. I had some polished Wilwood brakes and took them off of my car.

I've had that happen to me , where the car seems to be in neutral...a real sinking feeling...I've had it be the torque converter and also the shift module...(the lil thing on the side of the tranny with a vacumm hose to it) Just an idea...

Strange you should mention the module. Dan climbed under and the hose came off in his fingers, but he put it back on and still nothing. The reason I am leaning toward the torque converter is because of the slight grinding noise coming from that area when you put the car in gear.

Don

the highs and lows of car building, eeeek. great you got it driving good. sucks about the trans. you'll get it sorted out. if nothing else clean up and paint a used one for now to get back on the road.

Latest posts

Back