Step Away from the Craigslist

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilJohnson

Everytime I get near Craigslist my wallet seems to magically loose weight :D This time I found a 51 Dodge Coronet for 500 bucks. It looked pretty straight so I decided to have a closer look. I had just sold off a couple of clunkers so I figured this would be a good way to make sure my money didn't find it's way into buying something useful. I drove over to the dealership where it was at and had a closer look at the beast. Overall it seemed decent, typical of most cheap old cars the brakes are questionable and the floors need help. The paint is actually presentable. The car does run although it could use a tune up and a carb rebuild really bad. It has Dodge's weird fluid drive trans setup. I plan on fixing it up to relieve my 65 F100 of it's daily driver duties. I am hoping the Coronet will get a little better mileage (20 mpg+).

m217277185.jpg

I plan on picking it up this Saturday. Apparently the car was destined to get scrapped. Another dealership had it along with 52 Plymouth and a 50 Studebaker Champion. The guy who owned that dealership was getting a divorce and decided to scrap the three back row gems. His buddy who works at the dealership where I bought it from swooped in for the save and gave the other guy scrap price for the trio. In a gesture of classic car hobby goodwill the guy put them all up for sale at very reasonable prices. He just couldn't bear the thought of three perfectly restorable cars being scrapped.

m217277184.jpg

Very cool score. [cl You can't kill those early 50's Mopar 6's. Buddy of mine had one and he tried to blow it up so his Dad would buy him a newer car, but the darned thing just kept on running.

Don

this is what most would call our "sickness"
saving history and being not to proud to make a buck
keep us up to date on the old mopar

Latest posts

Back