Suicide Front End question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Scarlett

Hey folks,
I am back and back to building the MRAT. The frame is built (2x6 1/4" box tubing) and I am fab'ing up the rear suspension. While I am physically building the rear, I am thinking about the front. I am using coil springs over a big I-beam and need to figure out how to stabilize the axle. I like the hairpin style bars, but I dont think the thin tubes you can get for a regular rod will A) look right up against the sheer size of everything else and B) have the strength. I really don't want to die in my hot rod, so I am hoping for some advice. I like the set up I have seen where the hairpins are two seperate tubes. Sort of like a four link in the front. If you are experienced in building hot rods and have a gut feeling that I don't know what I am talking about...you would be right. I don't even know if hairpin is the correct term...
Over-engineered is the word of the day with this rod. Heavy is not an issue (see engine). Any ideas on size/brand of rod ends that would work and look beefy as hell? How about it fellas? ideas? pics? Thanks! I'll post pics this week. -Al

Do you have a build thread? I think I understand your question but pics would go a long ways lol

21Willys, Old Iron posted a build thread that just so happens to be my car. The pics are old, so it has changed a lot. I'll get some more pics up, so I can make things a little more clear. I hope to have the rear coil perchs on today. Once I get that done I can swing the car around to get the front I-beam in place and give you a better idea what I am working with.

Latest posts

Back