testing the water with this chassis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfield customs

so i have been kicking the idea around for a while of offering a basic chassis for sale, instead of all of them being one off. i figure that will help the beginners that might not know exactly what they want on a first build, or just a basic building block for a hot rod. the chassis seems to be where a lot of people starting out in this hobby struggle. so by making this basic chassis it gives them a solid starting point to build from.

this chassis is designed and built for a model A, but could also be used on later model truck cabs ( ie. 32-46 ford or chevy). It is constructed from 2x4x 3/ 16 steel tube, "Z"ed 4 inches in the from with a taper from 4 in to 3 at the front edge. the rear "Z" is 13 in, but can be modified to fit the size you are after ( 13 in allows you to lay frame with air ride on a 23 in tall tire, depending on rear end used). the chassis is fully mig welded, and the welds ground smooth, all open ends capped and smoothed, and "Z"s plated for strength. so what do you guys think?

there are some options on these chassis. and they are as follows but not limited to

bare perimeter chassis $900+ tax & SH

- this is a bare chassis with a round tube front cross member for suicide spring perch, square tube rear cross member

1932 flat front cross member, instead of round tube Add $75

round tube center section with trans cross member tube ( trans cross member tube not welded in) Add $300

suicide front spring perch (fully welded on 1,2,3,4, drop) Add $75

other things can be added but these are the basics. here are some pics of the style chassis.

this is the bare chassis in tacked up form, with the flat 32 front cross member and the tube center section ($ 1275 fully welded and plated)

DSCN5532.jpg

DSCN5527.jpg

this is a close up of the tube center section, trans cross tube not pictured here but is included ( $300 extra with chassis)

DSCN5530.jpg

this is a 1 inch suicide front spring perch fully welded ( $75 extra with chassis)

DSCN5534.jpg

the rest of the pics are cars that have this chassis under them with some custom additions, and the chassis with put the bodies

DSCN4618.jpg

004-36.jpg

005-32.jpg

015-10.jpg

012-18.jpg

DSCN5349.jpg

I'm not in the market for a frame... But if I was I would give you a call. Seems reasonable to me. I have had guys say it is easer to build a frame than modify an existing one. I just had to find out how much work modifying one is to prove a point I guess. :(

Gold03

Seems like a fair price to me, everyone on this site knows that you do quality work. I will be getting ahold of you shortly to build my frame, just have to get all my final measurements and get them drawn up. I'll be sending you a PM in the next few days.

You have a very good plan and I think you are correct in your assumptions. The chassis is the biggest hangup for someone thinking about building a car. It's also the area I see screwed up the most by folks building their own. Heck, If I was going to build a similar type car for someone else, I would consider buying a frame like that to save some time. ;)

I think you would be providing a great service to guys who are building that first hot rod, or even guys who have some under their belts. If they start with a good solid frame the rest of the car will be much better.

I say go for it. If you look at some of the crap that Rat's Nest cranks out and sells, yours would be a Godsend to the rodding world.

Don

If I didn't have a local guy who's done work for me in the past who has a lot of history in hot rodding I'd be in the market exactly for this type of service, if there wasn't something out there like this guys like me on my first ride would be lost a lot of the time.

looking to build my own frame for a 39 chevy p/u was wondering more of the dimensions on yours like if i didnt bag the rear am also curious of the width of the rear the mid section and the front of the frame rails if you dnt mind me using your design i like the 13 inch drop and the 4 inch drop that wood be perfect so u can either pm me or replie to the post thank you very much

Latest posts

Back