Tire/Wheel combinations

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDublyu

Unsure how to delete this, so copying and moving to Builds section per Skull's suggestion.

Probably not the right section for this post, but I didn't see a "correct" place for it. Sorry for my ignorance... I'm the FNG (and a very new one to all of this.)

Recently bought a 49 Ford F2 that has had some work already done, but want to do a bit more. I'm planning to install Posies springs front and rear for a 3" drop, and install the F1 5-lug front disc brake kit to match the 5-lug, 9" F100 rear axle I'm putting in it. Not sure if I'm going to channel it or get it any lower than that at this point, but maybe.

My question is: what do you guys suggest for a more period-correct type of tire and wheel combination? What diameters and widths (rim and tire)? I know I need at least a 15" wheel to clear the brake rotors. I was thinking 16" artillery or smoothies with a whitewall, but am unsure what width rims and tires give the right look.

All comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
tires and rims

My mentor has been telling me to go with a 6" front and 8" rear. When it comes to wheel size I was told to consider final gear ratios, engine rpm and cruising speed. He also suggested at least 1" difference in size between the front and rear.

Style of the rims is my nightmare right now.

Jens

Latest posts

Back