Title ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My paper work is a state of Maine vehicle registration and a Bill of Sale which is signed by the "seller". This is what he told me when I bought the paperwork. "You'll sign this and fill out bill of sale, go to DMV say you bought the vehicle from me in a non title state and they'll transfer it to a new title and registration" I suppose I should do this asap to get what I need.

I would for sure get that done as soon as possible. You probably don't have to buy plates for it (at least in IL), but getting that title into your name makes you breath easier.

In IL, you get the title and then you get license plates. The title transfer fee is something like $30, then you pay the sales tax (on old cars its $25, for now anyway). The plate fee is $151 and is good for a year unless to get an antique (very restrictive but cheaper I think)) or extended antique plate (drive when ever you choose between March 1st and Oct 1st, then very restrictive the other 6 months, same cost as regular plates). Those the plates are good for 2 years.

Any hassle happens when you put the title in your name. If the state decides you are the lucky person they want to check the numbers on, the plates wait until the Vin check has been done. Once you have a title in your name, buying the plates just costs what ever the plate fee is. The last 4 hot rods I've done I get titles in my name as soon as I can, then when I'm ready to drive it, I buy the plates and can drive it that day. In the past, doing both often resulted in not getting the plates until they cleared the title stuff first, that could have been a delay of a week or two, or a few months. It seems as though getting the title only first results in much faster action. The state gets more money from plates then they do title transfers.

I would for sure get that done as soon as possible. You probably don't have to buy plates for it (at least in IL), but getting that title into your name makes you breath easier.

In IL, you get the title and then you get license plates. The title transfer fee is something like $30, then you pay the sales tax (on old cars its $25, for now anyway). The plate fee is $151 and is good for a year unless to get an antique (very restrictive but cheaper I think)) or extended antique plate (drive when ever you choose between March 1st and Oct 1st, then very restrictive the other 6 months, same cost as regular plates). Those the plates are good for 2 years.

Any hassle happens when you put the title in your name. If the state decides you are the lucky person they want to check the numbers on, the plates wait until the Vin check has been done. Once you have a title in your name, buying the plates just costs what ever the plate fee is. The last 4 hot rods I've done I get titles in my name as soon as I can, then when I'm ready to drive it, I buy the plates and can drive it that day. In the past, doing both often resulted in not getting the plates until they cleared the title stuff first, that could have been a delay of a week or two, or a few months. It seems as though getting the title only first results in much faster action. The state gets more money from plates then they do title transfers.
This is still in pieces but I think I will hit DMV next week and see how it goes. Thanks for the input pal

"they're losing revenue from the electric vehicles because they're not getting gas tax out of them."
They really thought that one through didn't they.

Long time ago (1980), but I bought my 46 Plymouth w/o a title. First attempt (1981) I used the SN plus the tag that was on the car when I got it. In Oklahoma the tag belongs to the vehicle, not to the owner (as it is here in Ohio, at least now). Turned out the tag was from a completely different vehicle. Then we tried again, but with nothing but the SN. They found it! - "Lost title".

But the main thing I wanted to say here is that my Dad made the request through the auto dealership where he worked. I don't know, but I would guess that the DMV/BMV will pay more attention and maybe try harder, if the request comes through a business they regularly deal with. So, Got a friend in a dealership?

Long time ago (1980), but I bought my 46 Plymouth w/o a title. First attempt (1981) I used the SN plus the tag that was on the car when I got it. In Oklahoma the tag belongs to the vehicle, not to the owner (as it is here in Ohio, at least now). Turned out the tag was from a completely different vehicle. Then we tried again, but with nothing but the SN. They found it! - "Lost title".

But the main thing I wanted to say here is that my Dad made the request through the auto dealership where he worked. I don't know, but I would guess that the DMV/BMV will pay more attention and maybe try harder, if the request comes through a business they regularly deal with. So, Got a friend in a dealership?
hmmmm I'll have to kick that around. Thanks for the idea

Here in our town, we have a vehicle license service in addition to a state run DMV. I have always had better luck getting titles and the 1st set of plates for my old cars and trucks through the license service (even though it costs an extra $20 - $30) then I do through the DMV. I do use the DMV to renew my plates.

Be careful who you ask questions about the different title processes. I had a friend that went to the same DMV and asked the same person at that DMV about 4 different ways he could get a title for some old ride he bought without a title. When he finally come up with the process he thought was going to be the easiest path, he went back to the same person at the same DMV. She refused to approach it through the simple process, he had to go through the process with the most hoops to jump through. Seems she thought maybe he was trying to do something illegally and wanted to be sure what he was doing was on the up and up.

I asked about which process was going to be the easiest at the license service, she suggested which process was the easiest and it worked out really well.

Just my experience.

Here in our town, we have a vehicle license service in addition to a state run DMV. I have always had better luck getting titles and the 1st set of plates for my old cars and trucks through the license service (even though it costs an extra $20 - $30) then I do through the DMV. I do use the DMV to renew my plates.

Be careful who you ask questions about the different title processes. I had a friend that went to the same DMV and asked the same person at that DMV about 4 different ways he could get a title for some old ride he bought without a title. When he finally come up with the process he thought was going to be the easiest path, he went back to the same person at the same DMV. She refused to approach it through the simple process, he had to go through the process with the most hoops to jump through. Seems she thought maybe he was trying to do something illegally and wanted to be sure what he was doing was on the up and up.

I asked about which process was going to be the easiest at the license service, she suggested which process was the easiest and it worked out really well.

Just my experience.
Understood....appreciate that Gene. I'm gona give what I have a whirl and see how it goes.
I'll be bitching up a storm here if it doesn't fly....

The above reasons are why I've always used a title service! It's cheap & I always tip them big for getting it done! The DMV will hassle you 7 ways till Sunday but they know the title service people & hardly ever give them any grief! Just my experience! :cool:

Latest posts

Back