To fenderless or not to fenderless? Flatbed? newb requesting input...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlickFreak

So here's the deal. I'm starting a rat rod project. I was planning to build it based on a 65 f100. Then I went looking for an engine. I wanted something different. I like diesels, so when I was offered a 7.3 power stroke with trans, wiring, cluster, and computers for $200 and a case of beer I jumped on it. I got to talking BSin with some guys the other night and a guy that lives near me reminded me that he has some 50's big trucks, Ford and IH. I really wanted an IH, but it turned out those where 70s and blah... the ford turned out to be a 54 F600 dump truck. The cab is all there and he has 6 wheels and tires for it. it has a Flathead that I will move along in favor of the diesel. I need to decide what direction to go with this. I'm thinking fenderless front with the axle moved out front and a fenderless step side bed...or...leave the fenders on (they're in great shape) and build a flat bed with big tub fenders...I wanna put this thin in the weeds and have the stack come strait off the turbo, hood or no hood... What do you guys think???

so when I was offered a 7.3 power stroke with trans, wiring, cluster, and computers for $200 and a case of beer I jumped on it.

You reckon... jeeze, what's with everybody running across these killer deals... I must just live in a highly stingy area... :(

Yeah, when it rains it pours...

I just traded a 1995 f150 for a 67 f100 swb 352 auto... i bought the f150 from a guy that REALLY needed the cash to fill his spoon...

I won't get another good deal for ten years...

That '54 cab is WAY too big to run fenderless, it will look ugly. Not ugly in a cool way, but just plain wrong UGLY. Especially with the modern powerplant. You have the fenders and they are in really good shape, so keep them!!!

Blue eyed has a valid point. Probably look like you ran out of money or else you can't seem to get it put back together!....Just my 2 cents..........CR

The only way that will look any way close to right fenderless is if you keep the F600 running gear and make a monster rat.

When started laying things out on my '49 F5 I had hoped to use the original cab and go fenderless. The more I looked at it I just couldn't see the proportions coming out the way I wanted them. After working on the cab & a pile of rusted steel ending up on the floor every time I bumped it I decided to make my own cab. Since I wanted to run fenderless anyhow I think this will end up working better. My plans may change depending on what other cabs I may come across.

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Latest posts

Back