Trike saga.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilit Everrun

This is the start of a long story and I am really bad about taking pictures, but if you will hang with me I will try to do better. I really like riding motorcycles but back in 2005 I had a problem with my left eye that required surgery the result of which keeps me from looking to the left with that eye. Im Ok driving in a car but it can effect my balance so I sold my Harley. :( As the weeks and months wore on, I really missed the wind in my face and decided to build a trike. Here is the story...

A friend had an old rusty frame from a Harley servi-car with a wicked 70's style chopper springer front end. I bought it for 100.00. The plan was to find an old 45 motor to put in it. I quickly found out they are rare and out of my price range. Plus I would have no title and would have to jump through many many hoops.

My dad had an 1973 Moto Guzzi that he wanted to sell, running and titled so I bought it for 1500. It looked something like this:

V7_750_speciale.jpg
this is an internet pic because I didn't take pics, mine was in much worse shape.

At the same time I came across a 1979 dodge step-side pick up for 300.00 which I bought. It had a slant 6 and a 3 speed. The truck wan't in as good of a shape as I hoped but I got the motor, tranny, rear end and rear fenders and recycled the rest for 225.00

One thing led to another and I decided to put them all together to build my trike. I cut the Guzzi all apart and fit in the front end from the servi-car frame, and built a huge swing arm for the dodge rear. As I was waiting for the welds to cool I broke the engine down and bored it out to 1000cc
Here is the frame so far with the modified springer front and the dodge truck rear end:

DSCN1010.jpg

The toughest part so far has been joining the Guzzi motor

DSCN1007.jpg

to the dodge tranny.

DSCN1006.jpg

I used a Diahutsu starter and fly-wheel (splined to fit the dodge) to make it all work. The scary part was building the bell housing... I cut the dodge bell down and hacked the whole Moto Guzzi transmission to pieces, and joined them together this week.
DSCN1009.jpg
the outside pic with a little cleaning and I am trying to figer out how to re position the throwout arm
DSCN1008.jpg
in this uncleaned inner shot. I had to move it to make room for the gaint starter.

This whole project has been really really slow (4+ years so far), so I am hoping that the pressure of updates will speed things along. I will try to take better pictures from now on. I would love to have it driving by July 4th for the kids neighborhood parade, but I've been saying that for 3 years so far. I feel that it is much further along that it appears in the pics, but every says I have an overactive imagination and delusions of grandeur.

Wow! You have taken on one hell of a major project.Looks like you know what you are doing though. I hope you keep the progress pic's coming.

Radical design, cool forks, but you could have saved a few hours/days work by using a stock Guzzi tranny, shaft drive and all?

Sorry I was out of town

Hey guys took the wife and kids to DC for spiring break this last week. Didn't get anything done but sight seeing. So sorry for the silence. In answer to the questions, I have 2 slant 6 motors one from the 1979 truck no tranamission, and one from a 1969 sedan with a heavy duty automatic.
I needed reverse for the trike so the bike trany would not work. I also have a knack for picking the hard way of doing things. Besides, I had the tray and more time than money (or sense).
And as for knowing what I am doing, I fake it well and make it up as I go along ;)
I hope to get more done this week. I'll keep you posted.

I needed reverse for the trike so the bike trany would not work. I also have a knack for picking the hard way of doing things. Besides, I had the tray and more time than money (or sense).

Good point, I never thought of that. :eek:

We nearly all pick the hard way to do stuff, else we'd all be driving late model grocery getters instead of rods. ;) :D

A little more progress. For some reason I got really distracted about the E-brake/ parking brake. I really like the old style truck hand brakes but couldn't find any in my price range (cheep) and besides, I wanted to build my own any way... so here is a pic of what I have so far.
DSCN1027.jpg
(the whole thing- needs triming and some bends to fit)

DSCN1025.jpg
(the handle assembly-should have made it longer)

Its not great, and obviously home made, but that way it fits in whith the whole bike.
So I realized that I couldn't finish the brake if i didn't know where it was going to mount up. so I had to put it down for a while and re-focus on the engine/tranny mounting and fitment.

DSCN1018.jpg

here is the basic fit of the engine and transmission. It needs some finishing and now a new pilot bearing (I heard it brake as i was wrestling with the tranny) This will help me get the clutch and brake pedal placement as well. I am pleased with the overall look of the bike.

DSCN1021.jpg

DSCN1028.jpg

I was wanting a lot of "negative space" or open space where stuff wasn't and I think I might have a little more than I really wanted, but I still have the intake and carb to mount as well as the alternator. I am planning on the battery mounting under the seat. I have a small coffin tank I was thinking about running but I think this one works better. There is still a lot to do but it really helps to see it together, even though I have to take it back apart.

Just picked my shortened driveshaft. [cl It feels like this project is finally coming together. I don't get much time to putter around with it. I was able to bolt the tranny and motor together and weld up the transmission mount. I'll get som pics up soon.

So here are some pics of the current progress. This is a picture of the motor/tranny setup and in place just missing the starter:

DSCN1082.jpg

I was able to install the driveshaft,

DSCN1081.jpg

And then I was working on the intake manifold. I am using some gas/vacuum rated flex hose, and a carb mount that I made. It looks a little goofy but hey, so do I. Hopefully it will all work when I get it together, If It doesn't well I'll keep working on it till it does.

DSCN1083.jpg

I ment to get a pic of the front view of the bike but the battery in my camera died. I need to adjust the front spring anyway (its way too low) so I'll save that for another time.
My wife and I are getting ready to borrow (steal) my mom and dad's Rv and drag the kids out west or three weeks so don't hold your collective breaths (not that I was really worried) for updates but I'll post them as soon as I have them.

Trike

I started getting parts to build a trike, have an 80's big Suzuki(850) complete bike for the front end and have the engine cradle from a VW, but don't think I will ever get it built, will have to sell it. Sure like yours, thats just cool!!![cl

Its been a while, I was all the way back on page 2 and its cold and lonely back there so I decided to update some progress that I've made on the trike. I seems like I have been doing tons of work but the pictures make it look like I haven't gotten much done.:( I spent some time on the pedals (break and clutch) but I had to abandon them so I could run the exhaust pipes. here is an overall pic that includes rough placement of the pipes:

DSCN1698.jpg

I am planning to wrap them in heat tape... I also made the battery box, it makes things really tight but what can you do?

The thing that really had my head twisted up was the gear shifting that I need to do with the truck transmission. Here is how I dealt with that.

DSCN1703.jpg

first and reverse on the back lever, (forward for 1st up and back for R)
The front lever is 2nd (to the front) and third. There is still some little fitting to do but I think they will work well there. Here's a pic from the drivers seat:

DSCN1701.jpg

It looks awkward but it feels good.
here is the front side of the bike. You can just make out the horn and alternator. You can also see in the sissy bar (or the spike of death) that I made:

DSCN1699.jpg

I still have lots and lots to do and only get a little time each week, maybe by the time snow comes I'll have it finished. Next are the breaks and clutch.

Attachments

• DSCN1696.jpg
    DSCN1696.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back