WHAT has happen to our U.S.A?? (rant story)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PORTnPOLISH

Okay so about 11:15 I was laying here in bed browsing other people projects when my wife walks in and tells me there is a guy stranded in the middle of the road. So of course I am a nice guy and believe in helping your fellow americans, I mean I know quite a bit about cars so why not help him out when he doesn't because maybe one day ill need his help.
(And before I go any farther understand I love what this country was but today is a different world, being 22 I never got to to experience the "good ole days" but you can bett your butt that id be in a time machine if there ever was one)
So........ out of the kindness of my heart I get out of bed ,get dressed, go out in the rain to help this guy get his truck out of the road and get it started. My wife was driving. Me in her car and she kinda rolled through a stop sign when she came up to his broken vehicle. Not one but two cops pull up and right off the bat are being total jerks!! He tells my wife "can you read that sign says stop?" She's said " sorry officer I'm just trying to help this guy start his car" cop says " I don't care your going to have to be issued a ticket"
Meanwhile the other cop is yelling at the guy for having his truck in the road like he could push it out of the way himself or something. This cop actually called him an idiot and said"you have a phone use it...its called 9-1-1!!! You can't leave you broken **** in the road ,I called a tow truck so were towing now so you'll have to get it from them" I then felt obligated to step in and said " officer were going to try to get it started and he can just drive it home...." he said " oh no I called the truck so it doesn't matter now" I said is there some reason to show that neither of us are able to legally drive this vehicle home? Because if not its his property and he hasn't broken the law so he can drive it home" he said are you kidding its sitting in the road with no flashers on" I said sir the battery is dead they're on but they don't have enough juice" so he then felt like an ass and attacked so he started asking what we're doing out so late when I tried to explain I was in bed he cut me off and said why would you help some stranger?

So all in all my wife got a ticket and we all were harrased and all I was trying to do was help a fella out...... god I wish I could go back.

Cops are just people, some are nice and some are pure egomaniacs. I would call or visit the Chief of Police or whoever their boss is and lodge a FORMAL complaint against both of them for unprofessional conduct. You have that right and it will go into their personel files and become a permanent mark against them. Some will say you will just **** them off and they will lay for you, but you can't let that scare you from doing the right thing.

A few years ago my Son Dan was being harrassed by some cop on Sanibel because he is a musician and had to drive about 10 miles through that town at 3 am when he got done playing every night. The speed limit was 35 and the cop would do u turns every night and follow him for the entire 10 miles, so close that Dan couldn't see his headlights. This went on for months. I called the Mayor and lodged a complaint and the Chief of Police called me back and made some lame excuses that "a car out at that time was suspicious", but I told him it happened EVERY night. The cop never followed him again though, so I think the point was made.

Stuff like this really ****** me off, and we need to stand up for ourselves if we are in the right, and it sounds like you and your wife were trying to be good citizens and neighbors. What jerks! Let us know what happens.

Oh, and I sure would go to court and fight the ticket. Maybe the Judge will have more brains and see that you were trying to avert a problem by helping a man in need.

Don

Bottom line is that you're a good person at heart P&P! You should let the supervisor know about the behavior of the 2 egomorons.

I don't think by going back in time that anything would be different, we've always had cops who let the badge go to their heads! Some decent ones and some bad ones!

My mother in law had a car that was in an accident long ago and the body shop had the car for quite a few months. The tags ran out while the shop had the car and no one noticed. My mom inlaw was driving the car through one of our infamous little towns when she was pulled over by one of the towns finest. He explained the reason he pulled her over was because of expired tags, then he proceeded to tow the car and left her standing on the side of the road! The car was less than 2 years old, not like it was a junker.....CR

Yeah I see what your saying but I just feel like things were different back in the day. People cared and were not afraid of being murdered by some internet killer, people always were willing to help each other out and stopped on the side of the highway to lend a hand.

Write a letter and include everything that happen and was said. make sure you have the date and time this happen an any one that have seen what was going on. Because if it not in writing the day and age it did not happen. Any sware words that were used. If you have the police names or badge numbers include them. The name of the guy you helped would also be helpful if you have it.

Sign and date it, have your wife sign and date it. If you can get a hold of the guy you help try have him sign and date it. Also give him a cope. Keep the the copy for yourself.

Take your complaint and letter to the police chief. Talk to him about it. DO NOT GET UPSET when your are talking to him even if he is being an ass.

If you get no were with the police chief or you do not like his decision on the matter. But give him time to investigate it. Then that it to the mayor or who ever is in charge of the town.

Good Luck. they may have been having a bad night or they may have had pass contact with the guy you helped. But that does not give them the right to act unprofessional.

Been in curt a lot as a Fire Official and that is what you need to do yo plead your case.

call the newspaper,tv ect dont let it just go away they are to serve and protect us!!!!! I am afraid of them around here and sad to think my house got broke in to and I did not feel safe calling then

I don't have much faith in the pucking figs anymore! Whats with the shaved heads? They must all be on an ego trip.

I've got some police friends and acquaintances and like them all, and also respect these guys for putting their lives on the line every day to protect us. However, we have also seen that there are cops out there who do not fit that mold and are sometimes unprofessional in their behavior. It is your right and your duty to let their bosses know that you feel you were mistreated unfairly and unprofessionally in a situation where you were trying to be nice people.

Police always wonder why some people are reluctant to get involved, and this is one example of that. They had the nerve to yell at you for trying to help someone and also to yell at the guy for not being able to get his truck off the road by himself. Give me a break.:mad:

If you let this go without pursuing it you are passing along these cops to someone else who will get the same treatment. They need to be made aware they did wrong.......period. Just think if someone hadn't videotaped and turned in this idiot cop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Mts9gMGKo&feature=related

Don

Tough guy manhandling a 14 year old kid! He'll get his though, he's under suspension, exactly where he should be!...CR

My brother is a small town cheif and an idiot. One of those types that do the job to harrass people he doesnt like. I.E, racist. Yeah, I dont claim him if you ask. On the other hand Ive talked with many officers from the village we live in and theyre all great people. Like with anything there are good and bad.
I would definately document what happened and go talk to their supervisor. Even if they just get a warning itll still be documented in their records.

just remember that the 10% bad apples in any cart don't represent the entire group. For the most part most of the good deeds the the officers do goes unnoticed. But sure enough the one bad incident will get all of the press. heck, some cops are hot rodders too!

i respect police officers but i despise cops. (if you know what i mean) they used to have "to protect and to serve" painted on their cars, whether they do now or not i don't know, but i have some stories of my own (which i'm not going to get into here). personally i think there are lots of reasons on a personal and political level for the increasingly bad behaviour of police on the national level. having hitchhiked cross country several times i've been hasseled in lots of states for what amounts to no more than standing on the side of the road (or walking along it). i think the only things to save me are my dog tag and my guitar. the austin cops wouldn't let me stop to sit down one time (while i had a massively infected ankle, at the time it took me almost an hour to walk less than the length of a city block, almost lost my leg) can't stand them. my hometown is vicious, one of the highest crime rates in illinois (sometimes higher than chicago, definitely higher if they were all reported). i don't know. i get angry when i think about it, and there isn't really anything i can do to actually make a change in the situation. i've thought about being a police officer before, but i would have to break my morals a lot if i did so. there are some things i just couldn't put somebody away for, and other things i wouldn't be able to let someone live for. but either way i'd probably end up on the wrong side of the bars eventually. hope i didn't get to vague or carried away. it's a shame.

Latest posts

Back