what would you do to remove the old paint

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert

what sould i blast it with have some rust i want to fix but i want to do the whole unibody thanks Robert

I would not recommend that you sandblast the entire outter body as it will heat up the steel and warp it creating a whole lot of extra work to fix. However, I have discovered a great sandblasting media called Green Lightening. It cuts rust off faster that anything I've ever seen, and doesn't heat up the steel nearly as much. I have been able to get away with blasting some areas that I never would have attempted before. I use it in our vacuum blaster and the pot blaster. The pot blaster will hold 100lbs, or two bags. I can turn the feed way down and work for at least a half hour without refilling. So it's very ecomomical as well.

I get it from a company just down the street from our shop Called CRS rental. I'll look into where they get it from. We order it by the skid and I believe we are paying 6 or 7 dollars a bag. I would think that if you went to anyone that you would buy your sandblast sand from down there that they would be able to find it for you. It was something that was developed to replace the sylica sand when it was band up here. Just a heads up too. If your going to use it in a vacuum blaster You will need to clean the filter often as it turns very dusty. Also if you us it in a blasting cabinet you will need to hook up a vacuum to clear the dust out or you won't be able to see in very short order. But like I said before, this stuff cuts like nothing I've ever seen before.

Here is an example of how I use it. I put it is our Power Fist Vacuum Blaster. When I do this I can blast off rust in the middle of a 1/4 panel with ease. All you need to do is keep moving and don't try to get it all with one pass. This media is very fine to begin with and gets into and breaks up the rust very quickly which means it doesn't heat up like regular sand. I haven't tried to do this with a regular pot blaster yet though, so I wouldn't recommend you do that. Another plus I noticed is that it leaves a nice surface on the metal when your done. Not that heavily pock marked surface that you would get with regular sand.

Latest posts

Back