What's fair?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hate to hear stories where nice people get crapped on--and i think this is one of those stories....

i have a problem with anyone who uses people the way this guy has..now to attempt to force his way thru ugly calls and ranting and raving.....sounds like he needs one of those "attitude adjustments" that hank jr. sang about years ago...[ddev

bottom line--Cr is prob right-the guy won't ever be satisfied no matter what, so just do what is right in your estimation, hold to your guns and let the chips fall where they may--maybe next time the guy won't be so quick to use people as he has in this case........

i sure hope nobody acts this way that calls the RRR "home":eek:....

Update: This has turned into quite an ugly exchange. PM after pm, going round and round. He is accusing me of all kinds of dishonesty. He demanded a copy of the storage bill. After a couple weeks I did send it. I only ask for the storage amount, not the towing or even the sales tax. He immediatly accused me of making it all up because the towing company still uses handwritten recipts and he claims it is all a scam to steal his car.
He wanted me to send him the hoodsides and grill and keep the rest. I agreed to advertise it that way and include estimated costs of shipping those parts to the storage charges as a price for the car. After a week I didn't get one response to those ads on C-list and the HAMB, plus to locals.
When I sent him the bill, I told him he had 10 days, to the minute, to have the money in my hand and 30 days to remove the car. He continues to send pms that I am a liar and a thief and last night when I got home he had left a message on my phone that I deleted before I even listened to all the way through. It was every other word the "F" word and name calling. Hmm, couldn't pick the phone up for a year and a half but can now. I sent him one last pm telling him I would honor the offer and conditions.

You should have listen to the massage. At this point I would get a lawyer to write up a letter and have it sent to him with what you want and if he calls anymore wand threaten you. You will take legal action.

An make sure you keep all of the message and E-mails.

A year and a half. I done think he has much to stand on.

This ass clown is not a member of any of the car site?

Good luck man. You don't need this bull. And keep your cool.

Good think he is not after me that way. With my PTSD and Aggressive Anxiety he would not like the outcome.

I believe out of bad situations something good also comes. In this case, not only have you learned a lesson that you will never repeat, but you have also passed that along to the rest of us so that we are not so "trusting" in any future deals we might have.

I've mentioned before that I am a fan of the Court shows on TV, Judge Judy, Peoples Court, etc. Maybe the reason is that I took a couple years of prelaw and secretly kick myself for not keeping at it.:eek: Anyway, time after time you see someone suing an ex, or Brother, Sister, Friend, Son, etc, etc. for a loan or whatever that they did to help that person out and now the Plaintiff feels no obligation to pay them or complete the transaction. The excuse is always "it was a GIFT." In most cases the loaner had faith in the borrower and didn't feel the need to get anything in writing. Big mistake. I've also seen people lose a case because the agreement they had was that the borrower would pay them "when they could." The Judge asks the Plaintiff, "can you pay it?" and if the answer is no, then the Judge simply says "Your contract was that he would pay you "when he could" and he can't, so I can't enforce any contract."

Most people are honest, especially the ones we chat with every day on these forums. I have done business with a few of them, like Gastrick and Ratty46, whose handshakes were as good as gold. But a lot of society in general don't have those same ethics any more. Hence, the need to spell out the exact terms up front, and have a clear understanding of all the time frames, etc. Emails have been deemed to be acceptable forms of writing in most courts, so even if you get that it is something.

I think the suggestion to have an Attorney write a letter is a good one, that usually gets the persons attention. The one thing that might hurt your case here is that you should have sent a certified letter early on telling the buyer that if he didn't pick up the car by some specified date it would be considered abandoned and would be resold or storage fees would start. I wish you well in this mess.

Don

at this point i think i'd file for a title for the car, and make an honest effort to forget about the fools on the other end. if it's been more than a year AND you had to buy the car back from a tow company i'd say it's yours. i don't think anyone else has a leg to stand on. and if you already have the car then it's yours. i don't really think it would be dishonest either. or you could always find someone to give or sell the car to who would be a grateful owner. don't know where you're located but i'm sure you could probably find someone close by.

My neice is an attorney and I will call her Monday although I don't know if she can be my legal counsel or not.
I have dealt with a lot of people over the years and one thing I found out is when people are irrational and angry, they usually have lots of other stuff going on in their life. My guess is this guy has a drinking or substance abuse problem.
I will honor the period I gave him to remit the storage bill. After that, I will have no further contact. He really had no legal claim to the car after all this time anyway.
I have always used handshakes and gentleman's agreements and will contiinue to but on an issue with terms, they will be written down and signed. You can't have too much documentation.

My neice is an attorney and I will call her Monday although I don't know if she can be my legal counsel or not.

I was just suggesting you talk to some one with REAL knowledge of the law instead of a bunch of armchair internet lawyers. :p I hope you don't need a payed for lawyer for this.

He has until Monday evening to have the money in my hand. I have stopped getting pms from him and expect he has decided to blow the deal off.
In all reality, he has a parts car with no title tha the left for almost a year and a half with no contact. He has no recourse but to do what he did, blow snot and curse hoping he would get his way. When it was obvious I wasn't going to just knuckle under to him, I think he realized he was done. Hopefully.

Sounds like a keyboard commando! Tough guy when you're miles away!! Hope everything works out in your favor, good luck...CR

Latest posts

Back