Why would someone take the credit for building something they didn’t?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MY Buddy Jim is building this car

View attachment 100721

other than the engine and tires... he bought it pretty much looking exactly as it looks now.
And he has had to have EVERYTHING re worked
I wish I had pictures.
Some guy in west Iowa was building it for himself (or sayign he was) and then put it up for sale as a rolling shell with no drivetrain
I'm not sayign that it wasn't worht the 4k that jim paid for it
It has an aftermarket narrowed 12 bolt under there that's worth a grand and the tube frame was already installed
It has the 12" rotors up front the manual steering gearbox... the manual brake conversion...
I was giving it a good look over before he had the tubs and the back half job reworked
In my opinion it looks like someone started with top quality work then halfway through did a rush job.
Only the visible parts of the tubes were welded... approximately 60% weld coverage of the joints over half the car with iffy welds and 100% coverage with top notch welds over the other half of the car
the 4 links for the rear axle were too short and were at one time longer then cut and butt welded
Whoever cut out the floors when they did the back half job got all crazy with the sawzall and took out way too much it all had to be filled in.
some of the sheetmetal inside between the sub rails for the jegs kit was laid on top of small channel iron that was scabbed to the rails and not even cut to length (I absofreakinglootly hate prefab chassis kits)
jegs rails look like they are designed to fit in anything no matter how bad they look...total waste of space the tubes just don't go where the car's design implies they should.
it ends up looking like Micky Mouse hands photoshopped into a photo of a supermodel [ddd
That's why I'm going to get rectangular dies made up for my tube bender.

Anyways he is having alot of this chassis work done by another guy with good skills at considerable expense but we all still consider Jim's building this car he didn't buy it done, it's his design, his money.
Kinda like when an author hires a ghost writer. The author didn't technically write the book but it was written to his specifications under his authority.

recently he got the engine running right.
Jim bought a fresh used crate engine and got rid of the peanut port heads.
The guy who built the big ovals for him and reassembled the engine got it right the first time but the thing was leaking antifreeze out the exhaust
Turns out the guy used the wrong valve guides
Builder said he forgot the old heads had the valve guides passing through the water jacket so he re did the guides on his own nickle
Then it didn't run right
Turns out the valve settings were off but you can't fault the guy he knew right he just made mistakes
Whoever finished jim's chassis... didn't know right but he had to have known he was doing it wrong.
I started to think the seller had put a rush on it to throw it together to sell but the more I think about it I'm thinking he ran out of money or something and finished it himself then realized it would be easier to start over then to redo it all.

Up in charter oak IA I bought a 79 firebird like that. had the quarter panels pop riveted on and glued with epoxy...
Guy said he wanted a firebird a little older
I think he just go to be a better bodyman and wanted to run away from his learning curve.
I traded him his rolling shell for my 73. Mine had been patched and bondoed up in the past but had never had large areas removed. to him it was still virgin whereas the 79 was hopelessly borked.
i wanted all the goodies off it
I had picked up a rust free 78 at the police auction that had been stripped so his doors, front clip, trunk, and misc stuff was enough to flesh out the auction car... the shell I got from him I couldn't give it away and it ended up over the scale.
It was purdy but OMG it had so much putty in it and the pop rivets... They looked like flowers... he used like 3" pop rivets to rivet the quarters to the car I don't know why....
What the hell is wrong with people gluing cars together anyway didn't we outgrow that?

Your buddy is pretty darn good, that looks almost like a Chevy!!

I doubt that hardly anyone buys a project or finished vehicle just so they can lay claim to the building process. There will be the odd one that might take this approach, but more than likely it all starts with a few little fibs and the sometimes white lie. For the most part, who's it hurt? If the new owner tells enough of these 'flexible facts' they could start to believe it themselves. If the work is good enough to be claimed by the current owner, you did alright, be proud of it. What really chafes my butt, is when you get blamed for the messed up 'fixes' and 'changes' made by the present owner. Calling them out to embarrass, or put them down in front of everybody isn't the way I like to deal with it. I'd sooner use a bit of tact and be subtle so only they and myself know the truth...and then make a big show pointing out for everybody the cool parts and ideas. Especially the stuff he likely knows nothing about. Now you congratulate him on a beautiful/wonderful job.... by now he's caught on for sure. Walk away with a big grin, some of the bystanders will know something is up, and some may even figure it out.:D
You and your friends will know the truth, if the new owner has any friends....they already know the truth.

well said sniper...

can I show ya'll this car I built?
every piece from scratch...
the framework and the all metal body hand formed from metal produced from iron ore dug on the backside of the farm...
the leather interior custom stitched...from cows I grew on the farm
the glass made from sand acquired from the creek running thru the farm
the tires from rubber trees grown near the creek on the farm...
[ddd[ddd[ddd

yep I am competing with torchie for the "BS" award now!!!

:D:D:D

Ahhhhhh.....

Tman isn't BS'ing....... that man is D E A D serious....and every cotton picking word he puts down is as clear to him as the cool breeze in the evenin.....That being said....anyone want a beer????

yes

sgtpontiac....''anyone want a beer????''

has to be a dos equis beer, the most interesting man in the world is here helping me today:)

Later :cool:

Attachments

• Wrong_Car_detail.jpeg
    Wrong_Car_detail.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back