Woodworker from Tennessee

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEARKRAFT

Hello everyone. I recently found this site after being a member at killbillet for a quite a while. Old cars in general are a major passion of mine and I especialy like the rat rod style. The anything goes styling is what caught my attention. I am a woodworker and am almost forced to be creative in my work, so I enjoy being able to express some creativity through my vehicles without being looked down upon for messing with a classic! I have been making custom duck calls for almost 5 years now, but I have worked on cars since I landed a mechanic job when I was 15. Here is a link to my website for my duck calls:
http://www.bearkraft.com

I have been through several projects that never materialized over the last year. I never had a place to work on anything, so it was always a pain in the but to pull the tarp off, work for a while, clean up all my tools, and cover it back up. Now I have a full basement in our new house, and have plenty of room to scatter tools, which you will see in the pictures. I have a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger which I picked up complete, but in pieces on a trade. So far, I have about $900 in the whole thing. It has a rebuilt 318ci with auto trans, new tires, and it's lowered 4-5" all the way around. It's hard to find a good deal on the older cars and trucks, but I feel like I can make a respectable rat rod with some later model sheet metal. So here it is, what I call, the ratrod of tomorrow. I'm not ready to say that we will be ratrodding a taurus in 20 years, but I think right now, we should be able to pull off custom ratrods from the surplus of 1970's vehicles. Eventually, we will be forced to move on from the early model cars and trucks because there will be no more left to find! Anyways, here is my project. I am going for the salt flats racer look, but I have not decided on going solid flat black, or maybe try to whoop up some kind of strange or interesting patina????? What do you guys think?

Glad to be here,
Bear

DSCN1206.jpg

DSCN1201.jpg

DSCN1203.jpg

Welcome!

Bearcraft,
Welcome to the forum!!! I love all the small Mopars & it looks like u got a great catch there. You're lucky to b in that project for such a small amt of $$$ & it's gonna make a great car. Make u're self @ home & feel free to join rat in!!! Be sure to keep us in the loop on u're build!

BoB

Welcome Bear. Saw this one over at KB. Gret start to what cold be a ggreat little rod. Those small Mopars are some of my favorites. Keep posting pics of your progress.

What Color?

Thanks for the welcome guys. Does anyone have any off the wall paint scheme ideas that I might be able to pull from for this project? I want something different and I am partial to the basecoat without a clear suede style, just not sure what colors. Could someone post some pictures of Bonneville style cars with intersting paint schemes that maybe I could get some ideas from?

Bear

Latest posts

Back