To buy or not to buy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidhud29

OK, so I have some tax refund money burning a hole in my pocket. I know I should just forget it and put it away for later.... But you know how that goes. Of course some funds need to go to the Ranger build (see signature) but I can't help myself. I have a 94 Dodge truck as my daily wheels. It's running 245,000 miles and pretty rough. I got it cause it was all I could afford and I can carry tools and kids if needed (extended cab.) I haven't had a car to drive; that was just my car because I liked it, in quite a while. I would prefer a 50's style or earlier car. But for my money I don't see getting one. It needs to be reliable, daily drivable, with room for 2 kids and the wife. Something I can enjoy and cruise with the kids in as well. I have about 3k I can spend. More like 2k. I found this 68 Tbird. (see pics) It's not what I would consider my first choice, but I don't mind making some compromises. I want something pretty much ready to roll. I decided I wasn't going to pay over 2k, but this is close. And it's not the best looking car, but for some reason I can't get it out of my head. Gas tank needs cleaned out, otherwise no real problems that I was told of. I keep looking at other pics of 68 Birds and some look pretty good. Any way I guess I am just looking for feedback on what to do. If anyone knows of a kool car around 2-3k let me know. Close to TN preferably and pre 64. Or should I just buy the Bird? $2700 firm. Already asked and he has listed it several times. First at 4200 then 3500 now 2700 firm. I tried 2k and he said no.
bird.jpg

bird1.jpg

I had a 67, basically the same body. They're nice big comfy cars, my biggest issue with the one I had was that ALL of the vent doors and heater/ac controls are vacuum operated. There's a manifold under the dash that controls the flow of the vacuum. If you get a leak anywhere in there its a major PITA to find it. Mine had the 390 in it which was ok, had the c6 which I had rebuilt. The rear sequential turn signals are mechanical, I ended up replacing it with a black box electronic deal that was 75.00 and still cheaper than fixing the original switch system. A gear driven motor runs some cams with microswitches. Lastly its not a very popular bird model, the 4 doors are more popular with the suicide doors, but as far as birds go its just not very desirable. If your looking for something to restore and show, it'll make a nice car but as I say for T-bird fans its not super desirable. If you're looking to build it into some sort of rod, IMHO this ain't the car, I'd keep looking for something simpler to maintain (did I mention for example the windshield wipers are powered off the power steering pump?), my brother had a cherried out 63 and came to the same conclusion, its just got to much stuff on it to go wrong and after it nickels and dimes you for a while you'll regret buying it. Once again just my opinion.

Regards,

Rev. D.

I have to agree. Never owned one but a buddy did. It was always having electrical problems, windows,ect. I think I would keep looking too, especially if you're looking for something to haul the family in!...jmho.....CR

I guess I'm coming to the same conclusion. I have read that these have elec. issues. I knew the headlights were a vacuum deal, didn't realize all the other stuff on them. He did say the turn signals weren't working but that he already had a replacement switch that just wasn't installed yet.
I know I would rather have something else. I get impulsive though. And the idea of having a car that I bought for me instead of for work is tempting.
Patience grasshopper....
I try to tell myself compromises are ok and I'll be happy with it. In reality, I know I wont be, because it's not really what I want.
Did you know that although the 67 and 68 Birds look at first to be almost identical, the hood and trunk lid and I think one other thing are the only parts that will interchange. Ford made a bunch of changes that year that make them just a little different. So parts are even harder to find.
OK so anyone know of a descent deal on a cruiser 64 or earlier 3k or less? Doesn't have to be perfect. Just a daily driver that will fit the kiddos. I'm not real picky anymore. I do like the 55-57 Buick Specials, etc. Nice big car with good styling and a butt load of chrome on the front end. :D

Latest posts

Back