my intro

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmaster1766

hello Ron here, here is SW Ohio, i just wanted to say hey and show a quick pic of my RatBug im building, its a 66 VW Bug, stuffing a 455 cubic inch Oldsmobile motor up front, i have the front cut off and the bottom all cut out, the motor is resting where i want it and a few wheels set there so i know how im gonna fab the frame up

heres the picture, and more to follow as i get finished

RatBug014.jpg

Ron

Couldn't get any cubic inches in there, huh??? :D:D:D Welcome to the forum. What a great, different project. We have a 455 in my Son's '29 RPU, and a 394 in my '39 Dodge, so we are obviously Olds lovers too.

Please post lots of pictures when you can, your rod is something I bet everybody would love to see more of.

Don

Welcome aboard MM,
455 cubes in a 66 bug. That has the potiential to be stupid fast.
Might be a good idea to make sure it is "Stupid Safe" as well.

By all means, Post more pics.

Welcome to RRR metalmaster. That's a very interesting project. Are you going to put the radiator in the front or the back? It would be nice of you started a thread over in the "build" section. I'm sure everyone would like to follow along.

welcome Metal,
that is awesome, reminds me of mid 90s when I built a 70 Bug with a 350/th350 and 4.56 gears. Used a 78 Toyota pickup frame shortened w/ 8 3/4 Mopar rear and it was INSANE so I bet with the Slowsmobile 455 yours is gonna be a skeery ride.

Jim

Welcome!!!

MM,
Welcome to the forum & I love u're project!!! Gotta love a V-8 bug. Lots of bug lovers here & I'm sure we'll all be lookin' forward to watchin' the progress on this beast!!!

BoB

thanks for the warm welcome,

i sure will start a thread in the build section for this, ill get to it in a few days after i get a few of the newest pictures downloaded,

and im sure this will be a skeery ride, i have driven a VW for many years, been 12 for this one since i crashed it into a telephone pole in a snow storm, been sitting ever since, and the motor came out of a cutlass i had, was a 74, me and my wife drove it everyday, we raced it on friday nights as well, best time was her driving, she ran an 11.92 1/4 mile, best i ran was a 12.2

i canr wait to see what it feels like in the light bodied bug

btw heres a picture of the cutlass back in its better days

greatwhite1600x419.jpg

Ron

well lets just say the cutlass fell apart, at the time i didnt have the money to fix everything, i still regret getting rid of the body, i kept the motor and trans just to put into something else, i was hoping to get another cutlass, now its just time to do something with it, anything, thats why im doing it, i need a fun project and this will be it

as for cc's in a 455, 7456 cubic centimeters is what i came up with

Ron

wow it has been a very long time since i have updated my build, so here goes

i have made many changes on this project since the beginning

mainly the motor, i decided to use a small block Ford backed by a C4 transmission, it is out of an 81 mustang that was my wife's race car/grocery getter, it was a 12 second car back in the days we raced it

i have the frame almost finished, just need to go back and finish all the welding, mounted the motor and tranny, then the car sat for a little over 6 months before i just started back to work on it a few weeks ago

here are some pictures of what i have been doing

this is how it sits right now
DSC00718600x450.jpg

i used the roof section from an S10 blazer i totaled back in Jan of 08 for the floor pan
IMG_4801640x480.jpg

then i used a hood from another S10 Blazer i had for the rear shelf behind the seats, i am still working on getting this all welded in (i work extra slow)
DSC00721600x450.jpg

DSC00725600x450.jpg

this is the Mustang that donated the motor, the car sat for years because we couldnt drive it on the street due to the emissions testing they had here back in the 90's, well all the sitting and the car rusted out underneath, and yes that is the 66 Bug behind it that i am building now
mustangbug1.jpg

i have all sorts of hoods and fenders from all the S10 Blazers and trucks i have had, i like to recycle and this makes for a way to get rid of all the sheet metal parts i have taking up space, even used the front frame clip from an S10 truck for the front suspension, the rear is made from 2 x 4 x 1/8 inch wall tube, the rear axle is from the same truck as the front end

i will try to keep this updated more often, its just that last year i didnt get much done due to health troubles, but im back and working as hard as i can

Ron

Welcome aboard! That is one great project you have going there. I am a huge fan of little cars with big motors. i have put together a lot of Hondas that way in the past. Its going to be great to watch this thing come alive.

been busy, just thought id add a few pictures

DSC00930.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

DSC00991.jpg

still gotts lot of work to do, headers are gonna be the toughest, unless i find a bunch of used ones that some one just want to get rid of, then i could cut them up into pieces and make my own, everything else is gonna be easy from here on out

more to come

Ron

Latest posts

Back