Rear View

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookie Bros

The Deacon of Diesel!
I was lookin through my pic files and came across some memories. Lookit this shot from my Viper Truck :D We were waiting for the light to turn green.

IMG_0282.jpg

We were "told" to be good...... Pookie might have tweaked the rules a little......

IMG_0284.jpg

Here we are at the "reserved section" directly in front of the court house. The truck got loads of looks, had the only Viper truck there.

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

:( Damn fun truck. Had lots of time throwin that pistol grip

IMG_0199.jpg

til the rods decided to take a break one night comin home from work.....

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

It's incredible what can happen when something decides to let loose! Wonder how that happened? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Beercan
Traced it down to oil cavitation to the number 3 rod journal. When #3 went, it took #4 with it. If'n they didn't take out the main oil galley which is that nub of aluminum up in front of the oil pan picture, I would have been able to weld the 2 windows up and sleeve the block and use again.....

Being Pookie's luck that didn't happen.......:eek:

Of course I'm making a fool of myself without seeing the block close up, but hear me out. Back in the 80's, I had a reputation as the engine builder/machinist who could save the BBC, in several ways heres just one, if you remember the main oil galley runs along the pan rail, then across the main webs to the main housing bores. O.K., quite often an other machinist going real big on the cylinder bores would break into the galley in the main webbing. You just dont dump a race prepped block, so I would put the block on its side in the mill, go up in the diameter of the hole size and sleeve them. Seal them with special epoxy, and they were guarenteed not to fail or leak internally. Not a single failure in over 15 years of racing, APBA Powerboat or NHRA type racing. Funny as poop was once some other shop tried my deal, and put pushrods into the holes, yes like pushrods, they didnt allow enough oil to flow and this shop started eating cranks, like 4340 billet race cranks. Guess who had to repair this race block, ever try an drill a hardened pushrod??? Can you even imagine drilling a hardened pushrod, try it sometime. Like drilling plutonium rod or something. I eventually used a concrete mason bit, that I sharpened to just the right amount of rake on the tip, that it would cut through the pushrods. Back to the viper, I had extensive experience with aluminum blocks and I know your very capable and its probably wasted, just thought I would share a little of the past. I know you have it handled buddy.

Oh believe me I looked at it. The main oil galley is positioned just under the cam bore and it runs front to back. (Front journals are fed first)

I'm sure anything is possible. But at what expense to undertake. The bores themselves shattered when the rods broke. Piston #4 rotated and was pounded to a custom chip.

IMG_0533.jpg

Even though I'm a die hard GM guy, I'm not gonna make any Mopar jokes, because if your a car guy these pictures hurt...especially when it was a on the way home from work. Heck we all "race" to get home from work, but that should't be the result.

I guess this is part of the reason those New York commuters are being treated to the 64 Plymouth on a daily basis

Latest posts

Back