Confession and re-introduction

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Hornet

My confession is that I have a project already when I said I was looking for one. It's a '28 Roadster that my Dad, my Brother and I took from stock to StreetRod in the late 70's. Dad wanted and did put a Capri V-6 in place of the 4 Banger.

When my Dad passed away 10 yrs. ago I made some slight modifications like adding front disc brakes and re-engineering the clutch linkage. I also started driving the car more than it had been driven before. My Dad didn't drive the car any, except for one Christmas parade that I can remember.

I want to make the car as reliable as I can. It's really not that reliable right now; even with the slight modifications. I'll get pictures posted of it when I figure out how to do it. (I spent the past 45 minutes trying with no success.)

Anyway I want to take the car in a new direction. Dad took it to a STREETROD look with full fenders and a JAGUAR rear-end and I'd like to take it to a more traditional HOTROD look...

My first question is ...am I better off beefing-up the original frame by boxing it or buying a reproduction frame for this sort of build....I would like to ZEE the frame to get that low slung look.

Sorry for this being long winded and misleading in my original introduction, but I was torn between keeping the direction going my Dad was taking and going a direction that was more MY style. I will have lots of questions once this project gets underway.

Thanks for listening.

Build what ever makes you happiest. If you're gonna "Z" the frame, might has well use the old one but check for stress cracks. There's someone on one of these sites (RRR or KillBillet) that can build you a new frame if you want to sell the old one to a restorer.

My first rod took 3 years to build. Thought I shoulda bought a finished rod, but my wife said, "You got exactly what you wanted". She was right.

build what makes you happy. i'm sure you want to pay homage to your father as we all would if a car was passed down to us. you're the one that has to look at it and drive it though. make it the way you want and leave some of what your father built intact as a way to remember him. by the way, welcome to the board if i havn't already welcomed you. we have so many new members its hard to keep up.

Latest posts

Back