1970 dart my boys first car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

49rat

My 17 year old boy bought this car his self with a rod nocking in its 198 slant six last year. Sence, we traded his moped for a 225 slant six with 10,000 miles on it out of a d100 truck an placed in it and rebuilt the carb. Now he dont know if he wonts to sell or trade it off or keep it. He is wonting to get a motorcycle. I support him in wonting a motorcycle (I think), but i think if we tent the windows and get some new rims and lowprofile tires it would look tough. His decision but any suggestions, keep,sell,value,paint it........:confused:

Attachments

• 1970dart5.jpg
    1970dart5.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 1970dart3.jpg
    1970dart3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 1970dart.jpg
    1970dart.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 1970dart2.jpg
    1970dart2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 1970dart4.jpg
    1970dart4.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 37
Just my opinion but a 17 year old doesn't need a motorcycle. Have too many friends that lost their kids on them!

Beercan

i dont know the laws wherever your at -- but i think in texas you cant get a bike above a certain cc (250 maybe) until youre 18 anyways -- but the main thing is whats he going to do when it rains if hes only got a bike? == id say keep it (possibly lower it :) ) throw some cheap paint on it and let him save up and get a bike after several paychecks -- just my thoughts anyways.

I've Seen too many bike accidents...

Too many (car) drivers don't pay attention... @17 the kids all think they'll live forever.... too many risks..... plus the car is all weather and much safer.... I've lost a nephew to someone elses mistake while he was riding.... as a dad that is a scary thought....jmho.....

I lost a best friend on a murdercycle through no fault of his own and last I checked he is still dead. A 17 year old needs an all weather vehicle. Please no bike, it is the other drivers you have to worry about and they are getting more reckless all the time. Paint the car and lower it, I would drive it.

id keep the car put a 318 with a 4 spd, motorcycles are cool and all but hey sorta hard to do it on a motorcycle compare to a bench seat;)

My 17 year old boy bought this car his self with a rod nocking in its 198 slant six last year. Sence, we traded his moped for a 225 slant six with 10,000 miles on it out of a d100 truck an placed in it and rebuilt the carb. Now he dont know if he wonts to sell or trade it off or keep it. He is wonting to get a motorcycle. I support him in wonting a motorcycle (I think), but i think if we tent the windows and get some new rims and lowprofile tires it would look tough. His decision but any suggestions, keep,sell,value,paint it........:confused:

I would keep it forever and treat it like a baby.[P[;):cool:

Yep, I agree. My Sons are now 40 and if they said they were buying a motorcyle I would lock them in the garage. :) We just had an accident in front of our residence last week, a biker ran into a van and he was killed instantly, and his GF passenger is in bad shape. If a guy ever showed up on a bike to pick up my Daughter he would be leaving alone.

Just too many idiots on the road these days, even driving a car is bad enough.

Don

I agree with all the posts of the idiots out there. But at the same time I have been riding bikes since I was 8 yrs old. (on the street since I was 16. now 39) I have had a couple of accidents in cars and bikes but when it came down to it I took way bigger chances in a car than I did on a bike. Felt safer with the car around me so I went 3 times faster. I guess I would base the decision on the reposibility of the rider. You do have to be paying attention when riding and expect the drivers to make mistakes and plan ahead. JMHO

I had one when I was 19. It was a 71 swinger special with a rod knocking
225 solid lifter from a 67 belvedere
Mine was wrecked and I found a 69 dart front clip everyone said "nice nova" lol
I got about 12-15 around town and 20 on the highway.
I had a manual tranny and an automatic rearend.
went from a 3 speed to a 4 speed with a hurst from a bench seat duster.

I had a screwy idea to weld new leaf spring mounts in front and rear and install toyota 4x4 axles and use a d100 transfercase and tranny...never did it.

I agree with all the posts of the idiots out there. But at the same time I have been riding bikes since I was 8 yrs old. (on the street since I was 16. now 39) I have had a couple of accidents in cars and bikes but when it came down to it I took way bigger chances in a car than I did on a bike. Felt safer with the car around me so I went 3 times faster. I guess I would base the decision on the reposibility of the rider. You do have to be paying attention when riding and expect the drivers to make mistakes and plan ahead. JMHO

I agree with all about the other drivers. As long as my name is on the car he will be keeping it. He is a good rider, had his first dirt bike when he was 6 and has road ever sence. At 16 he started riding a moped to school. Now that spring is near I think hes just missing the wind in his hair. I'll have to let him drive the rat to take his mind off the bike. Thanks for the opinions
:cool:

Just as someone else said, I have rode all my life. I wouldn't want to take that freedom from him. I messed my back up in 2002. I still rode untill two summers ago then it just became too painfull to ride. I miss it a lot!
I think kids all have different ways to them. He may be a great rider compared to someone else. I do agree you have to worry about everyone else more than whoever is riding. All that being said I have a 17 year old son. I hate to say it but it would scare me to death to let him on a scooter. Keep the car and keep your son safe. He will get another bike soon anyways. Maybe with a little more age it won't be so scary to you.
Besides what was you doing at 17? Bikes don't have back seats. Just have a talk with him so we are not calling you grandpa before it's time. lol:D

Last edited:
I just went back and looked at the pics better. Man that's a good looking Dart. I see you are in Mt Orab. I'm not far from you, Newport, Ky. It's been a long time since I seen a Dart that wasn't rusted away. Where did you find that at? We are in the rust belt. I like the hub caps and all. I know a 17 year old may not find it to be really cool but give it some time. When he gets out running around in it he will dig it!

Hi reb I dont know if you remember me I went on the scroungers ride last year to tater ridge. I drove the rat. I like the car so I have been leaning on him to keep it. Thanks for the thoughts

Hi reb I dont know if you remember me I went on the scroungers ride last year to tater ridge. I drove the rat. I like the car so I have been leaning on him to keep it. Thanks for the thoughts

Hey !! Yes I remember you. Your car looked wicked cruising down the open road. That was a good trip. Maybe this year you can drag your boy out with ya if you go? If you are messing around with anything an need a hand just scream. I'm always up for a little wrenching session.

Nothing wrong with fixing up a slant 6 "I did". Slap some paint on and get some wheels.
000_0827.jpg

000_0829.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSTPcC2xcIM

As for the bike, there are two riders, " one's that have been down." & "one's that will go down." Thats what people would tell me..lol. Then one day a old lady stoped at a green light and I had to lock them up. Guess what was on my mind? Other then having to change my shorts...lol

Scooters are safe unless someone in a car hits you...

5 or 6 dead friends, a few that lost limbs due to people in cars that dont pay attention.

I sold my bike after getting run into or run off the road by car drivers.

Still have a limp sometimes after eating the road a few times to avoid getting run over by a car.

Every motorcycle Policeman I ever met will tell you if you ride long enough you will go down.

If you watch people, they will stay farther away from a motorcycle policeman or someone wearing colors...or a large group of scooters.

One scooter, some will ride a couple of feet away from them.

Sorry so negative, whatever yall do best wishes :))

Ricky.

I love bikes, have three of them. But my first car was a 65 ford short bed with a strait six put a four barrel on it and could get the front end off the ground. Plus snow wind rain i could drive that girl every where. We started gutting it and dad said something about bucket seats, but i shut that down pretty quick. I say remind him of all the things he can do in a car with bench seats.;)

Latest posts

Back