Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good POPs, you sure can make stuff happen!

I don't have much of a life other than a few cows to take care of.
This kind of stuff keeps me out of sight of my bride and occupies a lot of time.
I like to think it keeps me out of trouble too. [ddd[ddd

I'm with you on keeping the firewall uncluttered, but a few things have to be hung on there.
You're doing fine, keep up the good work.

I don't really know why it seems to be so important to me.
I'm the only one that will see it 99% of the time.
But I'm still going to try.

Wow, I didn't know the engine and tranny was set so far to the passenger side like that.
Firewall looks good.
[P[P[P

Looking good! Is the engine offset that much to make space for the front driveshaft and transfer case?

When I pulled the cab off the donor I couldn't believe it was offset that much.
I spent quite a bit of time checking everything out and the transfer case drive line to the front diff. is the reason for it.
I used the original transmission mount and just moved it back 10'' and used a string line to line it up with the rear differential.

My front drive shaft is going to be longer than the rear.[S:confused:[S

I got the clearance for the distributor [2"] built into the firewall today and got it installed.

Then in preparation for reclocking the transfer case I had to do some cutting on the floor so I can rotate the case up. Luckily the floor is 6'' higher in the rear so it won't show in the interior.

Attachments

• IMG-3993.jpg
    IMG-3993.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-3995.jpg
    IMG-3995.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-3996.jpg
    IMG-3996.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-3991.jpg
    IMG-3991.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 27
:D :D [cl [cl :cool: :cool: :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Good progress, looks mighty fine.

Thanks guys.
I got the reclocking plate today so that's on for tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's enough to cure my issue.

I managed to get the trans tunnel started today before it got too hot for me in the shop. Time for some A/C maintenance.

Attachments

• IMG-4002.jpg
    IMG-4002.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-4003.jpg
    IMG-4003.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-3998.jpg
    IMG-3998.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-4001.jpg
    IMG-4001.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 13
Slow progress.....

I got the transfer case reclocked and it worked like a pleasant dream. The only other thing I had to do was offset the shift linkage. Easy peasy after sweating and losing sleep over the situation.

It's been over 100 degrees :eek: here of the last 4 days and no relief in sight. A few hours in the morning is all I can seem to be willing to tolerate. Needless to say progress has been slow lately.:(

Attachments

• IMG-4020.jpg
    IMG-4020.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-4026.jpg
    IMG-4026.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 27
Seems like reclocking a transfer case is a common thing. New to me.
I was prepared to re drill the flange on the transmission, which wouldn't be a bid deal when I found the reclocking flange. For $48 it was a no brainer, plus it was set up with 3 different positions to to choose from. The center one was perfect. :p[dr;):D:rolleyes::):cool:

I'm a happy camper.

I managed to get the hole above the new transfer case location closed up today. I didn't lose very much storage under the seats. I can live with that.
Hopefully I can finish the transmission tunnel tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG-4016.jpg
    IMG-4016.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-4030.jpg
    IMG-4030.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-4031.jpg
    IMG-4031.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back