Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Funk continues....

After my really good friend died of abdominal cancer on Easter Sunday, his wife of 52 years died yesterday. Linda was devastated when Eric died and simply lost the will to live with out him. Yes you can die of a broken heart!

It's really sad to see their kids and grandkids going thru the loss of both of them within a 4 month period..

Take time to spend time with your loved ones!!!
We only have a limited amount of time on this rock.

Grey is good! It's what I did on the Packard. You're probably right on the extra crossmember, if you get into some heavy stuff in 4 wheel, it could do some damage, lots of twisty forces working on it. [cl[P

My thought exactly. I've been known to get into "the heavy stuff" often in the woods. :eek::eek:

Pops, you are so right with all of us getting our priorities straight. Family and friends are golden.

One of my good friends just beat prostate cancer. Last week the docs found a tumor on his pancreas.

POPS. Unfortunately many of us have reached the stage in our lives when the losses start to out weigh the gains.
Never easy when friends and loved ones pass.
You and Bob are right that it’s a matter of priorities. We seem to forget that it’s not a endless highway we are on and that sooner or later we all come to our next destination.
My goal at this point is to be here when my wife and I and our 2 daughters are all together for the first time in almost 3 years. That will happen in October at my youngest daughters wedding . That’s about as far down the road as I have looked in a long time.
I tend to go with the one day at a time philosophy.
As my Grandfather used to tell me. “Boy. It’s a great life if you don’t weaken.
Sending out strength and healing vibes to all.
Torchie

Wow Pops life can sure be difficult at times. I'm learning to make the most of the short time we have. Thoughts and prayers going out to you.

Last edited:
I fully agree with what the group is saying. I lost a dad & mom inlaws, brother and sister inlaw in 14 months.:(
Some time life just sucks :eek: But then it gets better, slowly.

Take care and stay healthy everyone [P

Sorry the funk is continuing Pops. Enjoying the updates on your build. Your advice is solid about priorities and spending time with loved ones.

Progress.......

small steps,
mounted the fuel tank
plumbed the pressure switches for the torque convertor lock up and the
over drive
finished my double hockey puck tail shaft housing support
mounted shocks
replaced pinion seals on front and rear differentials
and mounted and adjusted the trans kick down cable.

Still stacking stuff on it one day at a time and putting off the body work!!

Attachments

• IMG-4397.jpg
    IMG-4397.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-4398.jpg
    IMG-4398.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-4401.jpg
    IMG-4401.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-4400.jpg
    IMG-4400.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-4403.jpg
    IMG-4403.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-4404.jpg
    IMG-4404.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-4405.jpg
    IMG-4405.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 21
So the pressure switch activates the lockup based on the pressure in the transmission? I'm terribly unfamiliar with how lockups are controlled. Curious also how the overdrive one works.

[cl :D :cool: :cool:
Nice to see I'm not the only one that uses hockey pucks.:eek::D
I just got 12 to use for the body mounts on the Dodge.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Great minds think along the same lines I guess.
I've even put them on the lathe and turned them down to fit different applications in the past.
Not to mention they are cheap. :D:D

So the pressure switch activates the lockup based on the pressure in the transmission? I'm terribly unfamiliar with how lockups are controlled. Curious also how the overdrive one works.

The only thing that is electrically controlled in a 518 46RH Dodge transmission is the over drive solenoid and the torque convertor lock up.

Instead of controlling them through the ECM, which I did away with, you can install the the 2 pressure switches in the pressure port. One is a 48-50 psi for the over drive clutch. I like the 50 psi so it engages at 50 to 55 MPH.
The other is to lock up the torque convertor (52 psi) after it shifts into over drive.

I've used this set up in 4 builds with great results.

You can do away with the pressure switches by using toggle switches and engage them manually if you're so inclined.

The only thing that is electrically controlled in a 518 46RH Dodge transmission is the over drive solenoid and the torque convertor lock up.

Instead of controlling them through the ECM, which I did away with, you can install the the 2 pressure switches in the pressure port. One is a 48-50 psi for the over drive clutch. I like the 50 psi so it engages at 50 to 55 MPH.
The other is to lock up the torque convertor (52 psi) after it shifts into over drive.

I've used this set up in 4 builds with great results.

You can do away with the pressure switches by using toggle switches and engage them manually if you're so inclined.

Most guys I know with lockups in hot rod have them on a switch, which I find pretty clumsy. This sounds like a much more elegant solution. Thanks for explaining!

We went to our friend Linda's "celebration of life" today. Still a funeral to this old guy.

Eric and Linda were the best friends in our lives and meant a lot to us. They will be sorely missed.

It still blows my mind that they both died with in 4 months of each other.

I had to do some thing other than think about the woes of life so back to the shop....

I got the drive shafts installed-again. Then it was time to snake the exhaust into place. I had to modify a stock cross over pipe to clear the starter and go around the front drives shaft. I was able to keep it above the bottom of the frame rails so it should work.

Now to clear the three cross members. Right now there is no clearance over the top of the 1st one. After the cross members it will a piece of cake to install the muffler and tail pipes. It's all fun and games.

Attachments

• IMG-4406.jpg
    IMG-4406.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-4407.jpg
    IMG-4407.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-4408.jpg
    IMG-4408.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-4409-1.jpg
    IMG-4409-1.jpg