Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's awesome!!! [cl[cl:cool::cool:[P[P
I can relate to the not wanting to get under it and weld. I hate the little suckers sizzling on my hide as they cool.

That's awesome!!! [cl[cl:cool::cool:[P[P
I can relate to the not wanting to get under it and weld. I hate the little suckers sizzling on my hide as they cool.

I agree. That smell of burnt ham sucks. I hate weld spatter on my head and in my ears. Looking good. Keep after it when you can.[;)[P

LOL. I plan to gear up for that bit of adventure. Picked up a welding apron and have plans for other protection as well.
I just want to make sure that when I get down there I can still get back up.:eek: [ddd
Torchie

shes a beaut torch. thanks for the tutorial on the leg, i had no idea!

Thanks, joedoh. It's a process for sure.:)
More trunk lid work today.
Did the 1/8th rod on the plate indent.
Started out by doing the old "Torchie uses a nail to fill trim holes, trick."
Wrapped 3 of the 4 sides on the indent leaving extra on each end.
Tacked then welded and filled.
Took my grinder and feathered off the ends below the indent to zero. When the final body work is done this line will just fade out.:eek: :D :cool:
Still have to clean up and fill the inner edge but I threw a plate on there for a visual. I have it positioned low right now as I may end up with a light above it.
That's it for today.
Thanks for stopping by......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-13.jpg
    2-13.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-14.jpg
    2-14.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 14
Let's turn that sucker over so we don't have weld laying on our back under it!!
Sounds real simple if you say it real fast.

I learned something else from you today. I never thought about using nail heads to fill holes. And I have some big nails and some big holes to fill.

I like the plate treatment!![cl:cool::cool::cool:[P

I agree with Doc. 'it's looking more like a lead-sled every day'. You put so many custom touches on this car and most people won't notice. They'll just like it, but won't know why.
Keep on tinkering, Torchie.

I agree with Doc. 'it's looking more like a lead-sled every day'. You put so many custom touches on this car and most people won't notice. They'll just like it, but won't know why.
Keep on tinkering, Torchie.

Thanks Mac.
This old Dodge was never a styling trendsetter but I’m
having fun trying to make it into one.😜
Torchie

From after the war 'til 1957, Walter Chrysler was not into 'setting the trend'. Torchie, you'll have to rescue him sometimes.

I don’t think he ever got over the failure of the Airflow cars, Mac.
I think they are one of the most beautiful production cars made during that time. Especially the first year 1934 ones.
Torchie

Exactly [cl
[P

I think you're doing some thing that very few other would attempt in the custom car world. It's not a cookie cutter merc, shoe box, etc.[cl[cl[cl[cl[P[P

Thanks gang.:)
I've never been a big fan of the shoe box Fords, kenny. Although there are a few that I would park in my shop.:p
In most peoples minds the 49-51 Mercs are the ultimate in "Lead sleds". I don't disagree with that. I would love to have one myself.$$$$$[ddd
Even as far back as the mid 50's some of the car mags were bemoaning the fact that there were so many custom Mercs they didn't see what else could be done to them.:eek:
With a custom it's all the little things that add up to the overall picture. At least to me. Change the tail lights. Modify the headlights. Come up with a different grill. Shave and fill. Chop or not. Lower the stance. The list goes on....

More and more Mopars are getting the custom treatment now as they are still a less expensive starting point.
Plus. If you want to end up with something different. Start with something different.:p [cl
If and when I get to that point. The thing that will really make mine stand out in a crowd is the fact that I sectioned it. Even back in the day that was, and still is, considered a radical modification.
Thanks for all the support.
Keep on keeping on....
Torchie

The one thing I admire most is you just keep on keeping on.

The sectioning sure is radical but after the chop it was the only sensible thing to do... Imo, that goes for a lot of chopped cars , but most don`t.
I can`t wait to see it in the colors you chose for it. Thanks for taking us along.

The one thing I admire most is you just keep on keeping on.

The sectioning sure is radical but after the chop it was the only sensible thing to do... Imo, that goes for a lot of chopped cars , but most don`t.
I can`t wait to see it in the colors you chose for it. Thanks for taking us along.
Thanks dutch.:)
I learned a long time ago it's much harder to hit a moving target.:eek::p [ddd
Pics show the planned color scheme.
It's a bit of a homage to one of my favorite custom. The Ina Mae Overman's Lincoln. Built by Valley Customs. This car still exists and is getting a much deserved full restoration back to it's former glory.:cool:
The colors i will using are from the 1957 Johnson Javeiln outboards that I restored.
Sort of a butterscotch Gold for the roof with a dirty white for the body.
The colors fit my imagined build time period and I have the mix codes in single stage urethane already.
With a rub afterwards I can come close to duplicating the "Soft" shine of old lacquer.
Something different yet again as you don't see many "white" customs anymore.
The interior color remains a question yet. If I want to really pick up on the Johnson colors I could do the dash and garnish trim in black. We shall see.;)

To drag Torchie and Dutch further along this sectioning path, I've seen a few shoebox Fords sectioned and not chopped. Whew, talk about 'dorky'.
Keep on tinkering, Torchie, you're doing fine.
I agree Mac. Not a big fan of those.:eek:
The Ron Dunn Shoebox(also built by Valley Customs) come close but I'm still not sold.
Torchie

Attachments

• CCC-Overman-52-Lincoln-P2-02-602x406.jpg
    CCC-Overman-52-Lincoln-P2-02-602x406.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1150944_598069620245822_545115249_n.jpg
    1150944_598069620245822_545115249_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 400px-Ron-dunn-1950-ford.jpg