Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My opinions shouldn't really count too much, because I've never done any customizing at all, but even though I'm a MoPar guy through and through, the ones from 49 through at least up to 55 are just some of the plainest ugly cars from that whole era. [The 53 DeSoto is an exception, but maybe mostly because that's the car I grew up in from the time I was 5 (1960) until around 72, when it was parked for the last time.]

So to me, you've taken an "ugly duckling" and made a "princess" out of it.

My opinions shouldn't really count too much, because I've never done any customizing at all, but even though I'm a MoPar guy through and through, the ones from 49 through at least up to 55 are just some of the plainest ugly cars from that whole era. [The 53 DeSoto is an exception, but maybe mostly because that's the car I grew up in from the time I was 5 (1960) until around 72, when it was parked for the last time.]

So to me, you've taken an "ugly duckling" and made a "princess" out of it.

Thanks POPS
Thanks Neto.
I consider all opinions of value. You may see something my tired old eyes don’t.
In Those years that you mention The Chrysler family of cars touted their engineering above all else. Their front suspension were better then the other brands as well as their braking power. Throw in the fluid drive semi automatics and their bulletproof flatheads 6’s and you had a dependable well driving car that looked like 3 boxes.😳 One stacked up on two.
A far cry from what was to come...
Torchie.

Enough of the fun stuff.
Time to get back to the bones.
Got on my little trolley and got underneath the Dodge.
I's just as bad as I remember it minus the new rocker skins.
Every body mount is gone save for on on the PS. And that's sketchy at best.
At least I know what they are supposed to look like.:eek: [ddd
Despite all the surface rust and scale the majority of the floor pan is solid.
I still have some floor pan repairs to do. I planned on doing these from the underside anyways.
Took measurements and my next step is to cut out the pieces needed for the inner rockers. Once those are welded in I will work on rebuilding the mounts.
This is going to be fun as getting down on my trolley as well as getting back up is nothing short of ugly.:p
I also gave the rear filler pan a quick going over and tacked it into place in anticipation of the 49 Plymouth front bumpers arrival.
Thanks for looking in on me.
Keep on keeping on....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-13.jpg
    2-13.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-12.jpg
    2-12.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 23
One step at a time is all we can do. Keep your phone close so when you can't get up you can at least call for reinforcments.

I still think you ought to just roll it over.[ddd[ddd[P[P GENTLY!!

Overhead work sucks... even when you're young, bulletproof and flexible as Gumby.

None of the above anymore. Dr.:eek: :p

One step at a time is all we can do. Keep your phone close so when you can't get up you can at least call for reinforcments.

I still think you ought to just roll it over.[ddd[ddd[P[P GENTLY!!

I had it up on it's side POPS. It still would require some gymnastics.:eek::eek:
I'll figure it out. I may be able to raise it more and that might allow me to sit on a short mechanics stool to work.
All has yet to be revealed.
Torchie

I know you'll get 'er done, just look at how much you've done already [cl.
Better put a leather jacket on your little helper, he looks flammable :D[ddd

Thanks for the encouragement all.
I have no doubt I will get . One step at a time.
Duke is my helper dog ZZ but he gets kicked out of the shop when the welding begins.
Don’t need a blind dog.😳
Torchie

More progress I see. [cl[cl[P[P Looks like you're Inspector approves.

He does. I still can't teach him the difference between a open end and a box end wrench though.:eek: :p
Started in on the inner rockers today.
Clamped one up in palce just to check. They will work fine.
Shot some weldable primer on the inside and will start welding them in tomorrow.[;). [;)[;)
This pacakge also arrived today.
49 Plymouth front bumper.
I will be using 2 fronts on the Dodge like I did on the custom truck.
You can see that It already tucks in closer to the pan then the shiny rear one did.
With some pan surgery I will get it even closer.
Thanks for stopping by...
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-10.jpg
    2-10.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 23
  • 2-12.jpg
    2-12.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 23
Sweet![cl[cl[cl[P[P
Yes indeed. Thanks:D
Some people will think you just keep getting lucky for no reason, but I think you plan ahead and make your own luck. [cl[cl
Good planning, Torchie.
Thanks Mac.
I had the shiny rear bumper up in the rafters left over from the truck build. Where I didn't use it either.(I kind of feel sorry for it.:eek:)
So I thought that I would try it out first. I like it (Looking at it straight on) but don't dig the huge distance from the car body.
I know the front's is less arched and doesn't have the long wrap around ears so it was just a matter of coming up with one.
I suppose I will try to peddle the rear one but they seem to be pretty prevalent and don't bring near the money the fronts do. Although with this one being good driver quality chrome. Who knows.
Torchie

Did some trimming of the rear filler panel. Tucked the bumper in to the body a bit more. No gap at the center of the bumper now.:D
I also started welding in the inner rockers. I won't bore you all with those pics.:eek: :p
[;) [;) [;)
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 19