1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[cl[cl[cl
Great lookin interior.
Do you use the more expensive tilt columns, if not do you have any looseness in the tilt part of the columns you use?
The only ones I have any luck with are the Ididt or Flaming Rivers. They've gotten so expensive, I've started using the lower priced ones and the tilt moves like a factory tilt when it starts to loosen up in the joints.
Been thinking about tearing one apart to see if there's a way to fix them.

I must confess to using the cheaper ones, you know where they come from...:rolleyes: The US ones, like you say are very expensive now, and I wonder how much of their construction is really made in the US [S
So far I've not had any issues with looseness, bought 3 or 4 from ebay seller Gearheadworld, it's just hard to resist the price....:eek:

I've always used used ones with no problems, Ford and Chevy [S

Same. I have one GM one with a loose tilt mechanism that I haven't yet torn down to tighten. For my roadster I bought an Ididit column, a local hot rod shop was closing down their parts business so I got a crazy deal on it. That will be the first new column I've ever used.

The last 4 I purchased (different vendors) are loose feeling.
You can actually move the steering wheel and see the locking handle move too. I've had a couple that would pop out of the lock if you pulled down on them.

Nice day today, supposed to rain tomorrow so I thought it was time for some yard art :D
These are the last pieces needing paint, couple more rounds of priming and block sanding and they should be ready. There's always a fly in the mix, this time because it's fruit picking time in the orchards around me and fruit flies are everywhere and just love fresh paint :mad:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 53
A nice cool day today, got at it early and sprayed the color on the last body parts. Hallelujah, I don't want to paint another car for a long time. :cool:
Seems like I got it done before the fruit flies woke up, only a couple with the death wish - or maybe the urethane doesn't smell as tasty as the primer?? [S
Anyways, in a couple days they will get sanded off, I laid down 5 coats, so it shouldn't be too tough to buff out the boo boos.

[S
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3247.JPG
    IMG_3247.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3248.JPG
    IMG_3248.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3249.JPG
    IMG_3249.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 61
After some more sanding of the last painted parts and polishing,
I got the rear fenders on, tail light pods and bumper - starting to look like a real car now :)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3301.JPG
    IMG_3301.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3304.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3307.JPG
    IMG_3307.JPG