Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the encouragement and support. It yard drives. It's loud,.It's peppy. It stops. Made a couple laps around the house. Tomorrow, the road.

After fretting about interior room, and changing the roll cage three times, I can't reach the steering wheel when I sit with my back against the seat back. 'Course I'm a little feller. It should be saleable to normal size people.

Attachments

• mpsc 004.jpg
    mpsc 004.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I'm A Dinosauer

Went for a couple mile ride before it got too hot out. It ran okay. Trans fluid was low. It slid into the next gear. The water pump was screeching. Went to the parts store. Their computer doesn't go back far enough to cover small block Chevy short water pumps. Corporate took the store's paper catalogs away. Except for the ones they hid. It was there we located the right pump. They even had one, left over from when the store was a different franchise.

If it cools off enough later in the day I'll go round the block again.

Went for a couple mile ride before it got too hot out. It ran okay. Trans fluid was low. It slid into the next gear. The water pump was screeching. Went to the parts store. Their computer doesn't go back far enough to cover small block Chevy short water pumps. Corporate took the store's paper catalogs away. Except for the ones they hid. It was there we located the right pump. They even had one, left over from when the store was a different franchise.

If it cools off enough later in the day I'll go round the block again.

After my first ride in my 46, it needed a water pump and a starter. That stuff happens. You're getting there!

That doesn’t sound bad for the maiden voyage, if it was any better you’d be laying in bed all night wondering what going to happen the next voyage 🛠😋

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Wednesday I drove around the neighborhood in ever increasing circles. About ten miles.
It ran good enough that I chanced going to Gruber's Thursday afternoon. It was well received by the guys. Lots of questions. Minnesota Nice was prevalent cuz nobody criticized it.

The Good: It moves under its own power, quickly. Visibility is good. Interior room is fine. Steering is good. Ride is smooth on smooth roads. It's loud but I'm half deaf so I like it. The noise doesn't reverberate in the cab. No leaks. No overheating.

The Bad: It rides rough on rough roads. It has a little bump steer, which I expected. Brakes need adjusting. There is a shudder under semi hard acceleration. Feels like it is in the converter. The 4,000 stall Hughes 9" converter was a $90 swap meet purchase. It most likely is damaged goods. Don't want that much stall on the street although it isn't too bad. Switches are in an awkward place. Shocks and rear springs are too stiff.

The Ugly: There's overspray all over it from other projects. It is out of proportion. The front axle needs to come back, which isn't all that simple.

It will stay as is for now. I have other winter projects pending.

Attachments

• Sept Gruber 011.jpg
    Sept Gruber 011.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 34
That's not too bad of a punch list.
The axle being too far out front is the same mistake I made with my 33 Pontiac, never did like the look.

Latest posts

Back