Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have I mentioned that I truly hate body work? Two weeks and this is all I have to show for it. Found a couple of issues under the cracked and separated bondo on the cab mods by the previous owner.

Patience is a virtue and I'm lacking in that department. I just have to keep telling myself that now isn't the time to start taking short cuts.

Attachments

• IMG-4551.jpg
    IMG-4551.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-4553.jpg
    IMG-4553.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-4552.jpg
    IMG-4552.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-4535-1.jpg
    IMG-4535-1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-4554.jpg
    IMG-4554.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 24
After having a trained body and paint guy working for me, I appreciate the amount of work and talent it takes to turn out a good job.

Oh, the troubles we go through to make things shiny :D I see you are trying to corral the dust to one area, this is my problem too, working on the fenders for the Packard, having everything happening in the same shop - the dust gets everywhere. :mad:
Do you put something on the really pitted areas to stop the rust, or just grind it all out? I swear my next build is going to be a ratty one, bodywork just takes too much time and the first paint chips make me wonder why I do it...... :(

It is so easy to get caught up in the minutia of body work. Every square inch has to be perfect. Over and over and over again... I end up not getting anything done. Or so it seems. Building the ratty 39 I set rules. Weld up the cracks, grind them close, leave the scars, so folks know what junk I started with. So much easier. Kinda' fun. The jury is still out on the 28.

One of the best phrases I ever came up with is: "I'm not encumbered by perfectionism". And I live by it in the shop. (That's why none of my junk runs right):eek:

I agree with what is said. Everyone should build ONE shiny project :D
That’s why mine are not shiny any more [cl
But the Jeep is looking really good. [cl

I love doing body work.
It means I’m just that much closer to being done.
The dust is pervasive. Worse then dry wall dust in your house I think.😜
Looking good POPS. Don’t weaken.
Torchie

Lots of work dealing with those recessed panels.

One of the best phrases I ever came up with is: "I'm not encumbered by perfectionism". And I live by it in the shop. (That's why none of my junk runs right):eek:

These recessed panels are a pain in the rear for sure. Makes me appreciate the flat sections.

I don't have the patience or the ability to achieve perfection! I just work on it till I quit seeing improvement and call it "as good as I can get it".

Man do I hate body work, better you than me. ;)[P

I don't know why I torcher myself doing this stuff. If I was rich I'd pay someone to do it.

After having a trained body and paint guy working for me, I appreciate the amount of work and talent it takes to turn out a good job.

That would be nice to have an in house paint and body guy..

Oh, the troubles we go through to make things shiny :D I see you are trying to corral the dust to one area, this is my problem too, working on the fenders for the Packard, having everything happening in the same shop - the dust gets everywhere. :mad:
Do you put something on the really pitted areas to stop the rust, or just grind it all out? I swear my next build is going to be a ratty one, bodywork just takes too much time and the first paint chips make me wonder why I do it...... :(

The plastic sheeting helps a bunch but the fine dust still gets every where.
I grind the really pitted areas out when possible. There is 2 areas that I'll have to cut completely out and patch. Really this thing isn't too bad. I just want to get past this stage and get to the final assembly. That's my favorite part of building something.

It is so easy to get caught up in the minutia of body work. Every square inch has to be perfect. Over and over and over again... I end up not getting anything done. Or so it seems. Building the ratty 39 I set rules. Weld up the cracks, grind them close, leave the scars, so folks know what junk I started with. So much easier. Kinda' fun. The jury is still out on the 28.

It always takes me a while to "forget" the body work thing of a build.
Then I just start another one. Glutton for punishment I guess.

I agree with what is said. Everyone should build ONE shiny project :D
That’s why mine are not shiny any more [cl
But the Jeep is looking really good. [cl

Thanks Soltz. I'm going to paint this one Hot Rod Flat. We'll see how that works out for me. It still needs to be pretty straight tho.

I love doing body work.
It means I’m just that much closer to being done.
The dust is pervasive. Worse then dry wall dust in your house I think.😜
Looking good POPS. Don’t weaken.
Torchie

If you really love it I could use some help. Free room and at least one meal a day is about all I can pay!:eek:

Progress.......

A little closer every day.
Too bad it's not all as nice as the top of the cowl area.

Attachments

• IMG-4561.jpg
    IMG-4561.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-4559.jpg
    IMG-4559.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-4564.jpg
    IMG-4564.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 20
I-R-POPS If you really love it I could use some help. Free room and at least one meal a day is about all I can pay!:eek:[/QUOTE said:
I’m not sure I’m even worth that much pay theses days,POPS.
The key to doing body work at home is to either have a good sized. Compressor or to use electric tools like a electric DA.
Nothing worse then a tool that can’t keep up with the job.
Torchie

Don't sell yourself short Torchie.
I hear you on the tools. My old compressor used to keep up with a DA sander but it's kinda wore out like me. I use it a while then use my electric one till the compressor catches up.

Progress.......

I finally got this cab ready for a skim coat tomorrow, well almost. Still need to do a little more welding on the "add a door" and Clean up the mess.

A couple of light coats of filler, more sanding and and clean up the mess. Hopefully prime it Thursday and clean up the mess.

Go Oryx Hunting Friday thru Sunday.

A little rub down on the primer Monday, clean up the mess and Paint Tuesday.

That's the plan. Always subject to change, Probably have to clean up the mess again.

Then start all over on the bed, fenders and grill.:eek::eek:

Attachments

• IMG-4580.jpg
    IMG-4580.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-4595.jpg
    IMG-4595.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-4593.jpg
    IMG-4593.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-4594.jpg
    IMG-4594.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-4596.jpg
    IMG-4596.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 15
Prime time!!

I finally got the 1st coat of sandable primer on this morning. I'll hit it with
320 grit to smooth things out and give it a final coat of primer.

It's finally starting to look like the picture in my minds eye. :eek::eek:

Then I get to body work and prime the bed, hood, grill, and fenders.

Attachments

• IMG-4622.jpg
    IMG-4622.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-4620.jpg
    IMG-4620.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-4614.jpg
    IMG-4614.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-4616.jpg
    IMG-4616.jpg