Mini Muscle Car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear the surgery went well Bob and that you'll be back in action soon. [cl

Are you planning to attend the Glory Days event in Byron this year? I have had to withdraw as my wife and pit crew can't get away. :(

Fall plans

The Renault has been sitting dormant for quite a while. Because I'm getting too slow in my dotage. The plan is to work on it this fall and winter. The Magnum tube axle with Wilwood brakes that came out of my Crosley will be replacing the MII front suspension. The change will give it a bit of a gasser look. But the main reason is to allow for the engine to be moved forward 10". The reason for doing that is to provide more foot room inside. At the same time a newer bullet is going in. Here, in plastic wrap is a freshly machined 360 small block Chevy. I have a rotating assembly and heads for it. The 406 sbc presently residing in the Ren is smoking. It will get fixed and used in a future project.

Attachments

• mix 002.jpg
    mix 002.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 41
Renault 2.0

After sitting all lonely in the back garage for over a year the Renault fired right up. Pulled it in the front garage and began the dismantle portion of the project.The engine set back seen in the second and third pics will be eliminated as the engine will be slid forward. I have a fresh .060 over 350 sbc to replace the troubled 406. And it will get a straight axle. It didn't handle right with the very narrow Mustang II suspension and the extreme engine set back.

Attachments

• Renault 2.0 001.jpg
    Renault 2.0 001.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Renault 2.0 002.jpg
    Renault 2.0 002.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 28
  • Renault 2.0 003.jpg
    Renault 2.0 003.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 30
That's one cool looking little car Bob. I see what you mean about the engine set back - it almost looks like you could get in the car by the back door! I'll be watching this one.

It took me a day to gut the interior. Some meeses had been living in the French car. And the dampness of the back garage caused corrosion. Lots of clean up to do, not to mention the modifications.

Attachments

• Gutted 001.jpg
    Gutted 001.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Gutted 002.jpg
    Gutted 002.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 35
Got it all tookin' apart. See how much room the Mustang II front suspension takes up? I'll be cutting the frame off around the front door edge. That's where it starts to taper in. I'll make it the width of the parallel leaf springs that will suspend the front end of this thing.

Attachments

• engine out 001.jpg
    engine out 001.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 35
  • engine out 002.jpg
    engine out 002.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 33
  • engine out 003.jpg
    engine out 003.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 33
Last night I trekked over to a young friend's house to see what I could find. He has more early Ford stuff than Carter has Little Liver Pills. Came up with a parallel leaf spring kit which I'll use for this build.
The front axle is from my Crosley. It is a dropped, narrowed Magnum axle with Wilwood brakes and a Geo rack and pinion. After I remove the batwings the spring brackets will be moved outboard a bit. It was mounted with coil overs and a 4 bar on the Crosley so all that has to go.
Here's the way the Renault sits with no engine/trans. Should I go higher in front? Lower? or is it okay the way it sits?

Attachments

• front axle 001.jpg
    front axle 001.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 29
  • front axle 003.jpg
    front axle 003.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 24
  • front axle 002.jpg
    front axle 002.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 25
  • front axle 004.jpg
    front axle 004.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 32
I think it's OK at that height, but lower would make it neater and maybe better handling - unless you want the gasser look, forget all that and reach for the sky :D
I'm sure whatever you do will be another kool Bob creation anyways [P[P

Last night I trekked over to a young friend's house to see what I could find. He has more early Ford stuff than Carter has Little Liver Pills. Came up with a parallel leaf spring kit which I'll use for this build.
The front axle is from my Crosley. It is a dropped, narrowed Magnum axle with Wilwood brakes and a Geo rack and pinion. After I remove the batwings the spring brackets will be moved outboard a bit. It was mounted with coil overs and a 4 bar on the Crosley so all that has to go.
Here's the way the Renault sits with no engine/trans. Should I go higher in front? Lower? or is it okay the way it sits?

Either an inch or two lower or an inch or two higher. The height the front is at right now, if that was your final ride height it kind of makes you wonder if you forgot about the stance of the car.

Latest posts

Back