Is that a "Kit Car"?!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I've been getting plenty of seat time in my coupe & have basically been using it as my daily. I went into town this morning & as I was leaving the grocery store a 30ish long haired hippy asked if it was a "kit car"! lt's been an eon since I heard that term & laughed all the way home... kit car! Haha!!!

BoB

I was driving the Phantom Phaeton downtown when a college boy asked if him and his GF could have a ride. He asked what kind of car it was and when i said International, he said " yeah, but what kind is it?"

Kids these days lol

I've been getting plenty of seat time in my coupe & have basically been using it as my daily. I went into town this morning & as I was leaving the grocery store a 30ish long haired hippy asked if it was a "kit car"! lt's been an eon since I heard that term & laughed all the way home... kit car! Haha!!!

BoB

What did you tell him or would you get censored?...[ddd:D

I’ve heard it several times with my Hennway and other scratch built rods, I always get a chuckle out of it, I look at it as an opportunity to educate the average non-hot rod types about what they are looking at. Doesn’t always sink in tho....... you often see their eyes glaze over when you start telling them how you made this or that part, especially when it comes to my Hennway pickup. When I tell them there are no production parts on the body, that I made it from flat sheet metal, I can see I’m losing them or that they think I’m full of BS. Oh well, I tried, let them leave in their Prius clone cars.........

Even the Minnesota DMV wants to call any street rod with a reproduction body a kit car. Better to go along to get along than to irritate them by trying teaching them something.

My dragster is powered by a 300 cu. in. Ford 6. A truck motor. As a joke I cut the stamped "Cadillac" script out of a valve cover and welded on the modified Ford cover. Had to be modified to clear roller rockers. One time at the drag strip two older guys, men that should know better, were looking at the car. One said it had a Cadillac engine. The other said, "No dummy, can't you see it's a Chevy engine?"

So many people have thought it's an in-line Caddy 6 (never made anything like that) that it's embarrassing.

I like the guys who have kit cars or glass cars and try to pass them.off as original steel

More like the kit bashing we did as kids building models. One part from one box, something else from another. I have bought some just for the wheels or engines to go in something else.

Don't care what anybody else calls it, I call it cool!

Even the Minnesota DMV wants to call any street rod with a reproduction body a kit car. Better to go along to get along than to irritate them by trying teaching them something.

My dragster is powered by a 300 cu. in. Ford 6. A truck motor. As a joke I cut the stamped "Cadillac" script out of a valve cover and welded on the modified Ford cover. Had to be modified to clear roller rockers. One time at the drag strip two older guys, men that should know better, were looking at the car. One said it had a Cadillac engine. The other said, "No dummy, can't you see it's a Chevy engine?"

So many people have thought it's an in-line Caddy 6 (never made anything like that) that it's embarrassing.

It's hilarious how many "seasoned car guys" can't identify the 455 Buick in my 46. The front distributor in the aluminum timing cover throws so many off. It's guessed as a Mopar more than a GM product.

Latest posts

Back