A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wheels have no centre in them, there is just a dimple running around the inside of a flat rim over near one side. There are six wedge headed bolts that clamp the rim dimple to the big cast iron wheel, [pic one].
Here is a picture of the four wheels that I have. I think I can make two the same width out of all of them, maybe. That was quite a hassle for an old guy, getting all those calcium soaked tires off of those rims.
Also I got the new steering wheel pounded halfway on and now it's stuck there.

Attachments

• 33 stripped.jpg
    33 stripped.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 14
MM I got to agree that new would the easy way :rolleyes: but I sure would give it a try on building two from your old ones before I dropped 350-450 in new rims. You can always go with new ones if you are not happy with your rebuilt old ones. You have a plan, go for it. [;)[;)

Bama, when I made my plan, I thought there were some pretty decent wheels in my stash. Once I got the fluid soaked tires off the fluid soaked wheels I found that I had junk. I looked in the Steiner catalogue but couldn't find the rims that would hook on to the cast-iron wheels properly. Now that you've shown me the internet catalogue, I may have a plan 'C', adapt the new rims to bolt to the wheels. Thanks for the internet catalogue. It gave me more confidence than my paper catalogues did.
A lot of guys will shoot themselves in the foot by being cheap. They either get a poor product, or get nothing done at all, but boy Oh boy they saved money. This annoys me, for their sake.
28, I'm going with your plan. I'll give this Patching plan a try and if it fails, I'll get some new rims.

You're welcome Mac. I've bought several things from Steiner I couldn't find elsewhere. A bit pricey on some of them, but, if you have to have it, you have to have it.

MM That's the old school way, try to repair & have plan C in your
pocket. [;)[;)[;)

Bama Steiner is a great supply house, your right that they have lots of stuff you can't get from others. Real easy to work with. When I had my antique AC pulling tractor I purchased two blank rims to build a pair of 12" wide ones and they were the only place that had them.

I forgot to add what you just said, Bama. I do watch my spending, but if I need something that will make whatever I'm doing go better, then I buy it. I'm Scottish; not cheap.
But like 28 said, I'm a fixer first, a replacer second.

Plan A was a quick patch or two on one wheel and all is good. Bsssssst, Plan A goes out the window. Plan B is widen one narrow wheel and do a few more patches. That's what I'm working on now. With a homemade guide [pic one] I cut one narrow wheel and then cut the other narrow one an inch different. [pic two]. The guide kept me on the same wheel but wasn't a lot of help. The third picture is the two widest narrow wheel pieces together after some leveling of humps. Luckily, I cut the pieces slightly too wide, so I had something to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2762.jpg
    IMG_2762.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2763.jpg
    IMG_2763.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 13
MM
X2 on what kenny c said. Looks like some good metal at the weld line. I love seeing the old school system come together. [cl[;)[cl[;) What are you doing for a second rim? [S

I'm lining up and tacking the pieces together now and it's going a little slower than I had hoped, especially the lining up part.
28, this is the worst wheel, so I attacked it first. The other wheel that I picked out only needs one patch about 10" by 5".

Sounds like your on the right track. Alignment is always the time consuming part of rim rebuilding. Once the first is done the second should be a bit
easier. [cl[cl[cl

Here's the good wheel, with the bad chunk cut out and a patch from the other wide rim.
pic two is the good rim with the patch tacked in.
pic three is the widened rim all tacked.
pic four is the steering wheel mounted right and pinned on.
Tonight I went with a neighbour and looked at a 1956 Mack single axle that was near perfect. I gave him the nod.

Attachments

• IMG_2764.jpg
    IMG_2764.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2767.jpg
    IMG_2767.jpg