Celebrating 25 years, a few days early

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Went by the office Friday, had to go get my physical renewed for two more years. They had to make a big deal out my 25 years working there. Gave me a plaque, a $25 gift card to a restaurant I won't go back to, and a new lightweight jacket, with the company logo on it, of course. Free advertising. No gold watch, no bonus. Was kinda hoping for more since not many people have achieved that milestone. Oh well.

Me with the beard, my dispatcher to my left, his boss to his left, company president to my right with cap on, I think he was drunk or on dope.

Be glad when I can finally get away from there....

25th year plaque by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

I can only guess how you feel.
I've worked for myself since I was 13 and never thought about retiring from a company.

I never set out to be here that long, just got comfortable and stayed. Been here through two buyouts, a name change, about 4 different company presidents, 6 or 8 dispatchers, been with the last guy over 15 years I think.

Eman, I'm just an old redneck country boy too lazy to shave, LOL!:D

What started the muscle building was my grandfather who was an alcoholic couldn't keep a job so the way he made his money was rebuilding engines. When I was 7, he'd come get me and my Uncle who was 10 on a Saturday morning, drive to where the car or truck was, you guessed it, under a shade tree with a chain hoist hanging from a limb, we'd jump up in the engine bay and start tearing the engine apart, lift the head off, take the pistons out, give him the pistons, he'd clean the ring grooves, install the rings and we'd put the engine back together before the sun went down. He didn't even have to get out of his lawn chair or stop drinking.
When he didn't have a rebuild, we'd walk behind his pickup, up and down the alleys, dumping 55 gallon barrels of burnt trash in it then head for the land fill.
Couldn't wait to get to the land fill, the two best things was, there were a lot of toys to play with at the dump and we got paid with an entire quart of chocolate milk each and a bologni sandwich. I couldn't believe how well I was paid :cool:

:D What really spoiled me was, when I was 13, my other Uncle asked if would help him reroof a friend of his house.
Mind you, I was stronger than the average bear and could carry two bundles of shingles up an extension ladder all day long. When we were done two days later, he gave me a third of the total which was $250 for the help.
I figured if I could make that kind of money in two days, why work for an hourly wage. Back then my friends were mowing lawns at $1.50 to $2.00 per yard.
It goes on and on so I'll quit boring you guys :)
Lookin forward to receiving my airline ticket when you win the lottery.

Congratulations Bama. You don't have to get stuff from the company. You know that you did a good job all those years.
You know, as we get older we start looking alike. 'Cept I can't grow whiskers.

Congrats Bama. I'm in my 21st year at the job I'm at. It takes a lot to stay in the same place as long as you have. I have the same facial hair philosophy and am the northern equivalent of redneck. A Swamp Yankee.

Thanks guys. I don’t know if I was smart to stay or too dumb to quit. Last place I worked for 11 years before I became self employed. Learned a lot over the years, some things I was told before I bought my first truck were true, a lot of them weren’t. Made some screwups along the way, had some hard times, but wouldn’t change much if I could. I have always been an independent cuss, so this lifestyle has suited me well. The company I’m with takes care of the legal stuff like highway taxes and they get the loads, I haul the product and get it there the way I want. I had several opportunities to go to other companies, but I hate to change, I’m a slave to routine. Pretty good combination, I get to do what I like and not deal with the legalities.

So now, I get to wind down a 36 year career. Really looking forward to more home time. Seems like I never have time to do my stuff because I’m doing other peoples stuff. I’ve got enough stuff to do to last a long time, and the wife keeps coming up with more!

Thanks guys. I don’t know if I was smart to stay or too dumb to quit. Last place I worked for 11 years before I became self employed. Learned a lot over the years, some things I was told before I bought my first truck were true, a lot of them weren’t. Made some screwups along the way, had some hard times, but wouldn’t change much if I could. I have always been an independent cuss, so this lifestyle has suited me well. The company I’m with takes care of the legal stuff like highway taxes and they get the loads, I haul the product and get it there the way I want. I had several opportunities to go to other companies, but I hate to change, I’m a slave to routine. Pretty good combination, I get to do what I like and not deal with the legalities.

So now, I get to wind down a 36 year career. Really looking forward to more home time. Seems like I never have time to do my stuff because I’m doing other peoples stuff. I’ve got enough stuff to do to last a long time, and the wife keeps coming up with more!

Congrats on 25 Bama!

Wow, does that sound familiar...

Congrats on the 25 Bama. I made 30 before giving myself a break. It's been 18 years of actually accomplishing more since I retired. When they started messing with me about my similar appearance standard I let them have it. Haven't looked back.

Speaking of personal apperance... When the company I worked for announced that they were "embracing diversity in the workforce", I just said, "I can help with that." [ddd I can't grow a righteous beard, but when I retired about three years later, my hair was some of the longest in the office. Nobody said a word. :D

My beard is pretty long right now, I usually shorten it up in hot weather. I’ve got a new hair dresser, she cut my hair about 15 years ago then she quit to take a post office job. Lady I started going to after her I stayed with all this time, but she is having health issues and I can’t get to her shop the two days she is open. So when I found out the other lady was back cutting hair, I went back to her. She hasn’t cut it back quite as much as I normally wear it yet.

The beard is part of me.Wife talked me into shaving it off on our 25 th anniversary, I started growing it back the next day! Other than that few days, I’ve had it since about 1985.

Latest posts

Back