I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started smearing Rustoleum primer on the bottom side with a 3" chip brush. After that dries it will get a coat of gloss black. The color has not been selected for the visible stuff.

Picked up a "worked when pulled" 350 Turbo trans for one of the future projects.

Had the valve cover for the Jeep engine sand blasted. Will probably just shoot some clear on it.

Here's a better shot of the Bantam door art.

Attachments

• Primer 002.jpg
    Primer 002.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Primer 004.jpg
    Primer 004.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Primer 003.jpg
    Primer 003.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Primer 001.jpg
    Primer 001.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 29
The bottom of the frame is now painted black, except where I have to weld the axle in place. The crew will be here Monday so we can right side up the frame. Then, it's weld the axle in place, mount the fenders, install the lights, paint the rest of it John Deere Yellow to match the dragster frame and figure out the length of the ramps.
After two years of slumber and a lot of frustration getting it running right, the Anglia is ready to hit the road.
I've got enough space in the back garage for another something else...:D

Attachments

• Black 001.jpg
    Black 001.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Black 003.jpg
    Black 003.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Black 004.jpg
    Black 004.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 25
No springs? Does that not beat you to death? We had a small 5' x 8" trailer with no springs, empty it would bounce all over the road, loaded, it tried to steer the pickup! Got rid of it pretty quick. I measured, it was square, same distance from the ball to the axle on both sides, just wouldn't pull right at all. Just not a fan of unsprung trailers myself.

Was also wondering why a single axle? I prefer a dual axle, that way if you have a blowout the trailer doesn't hit the ground.....

Bamamav, several years ago I asked my good friend and drag racer Al Tschida (rip) what was the best trailer he ever had. He said a single axle, unsprung trailer was the best he ever built. Towed like a dream. That is my experience too.
My pals came over and we turned the trailer right side up. Got it all positioned to weld the axle in place, but it is so darn hot and humid my heart (and body) said wait. So instead I finished primering it, except for a few spots that need more work.

Here's what left of the original trailer. My orange trailer is being reclaimed my nature.

Flyin' Brian cut down part of a Sunburst Locust tree I planted too close to the house 26 years ago. Hopefully he will finish the job. Someday.

Attachments

• Nice 001.jpg
    Nice 001.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 28
  • Nice 002.jpg
    Nice 002.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Nice 003.jpg
    Nice 003.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Nice 004.jpg
    Nice 004.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 27
It's a long, uninteresting and embarrassing story about the Anglia, snopro. Let me say that he who makes assumptions often misses the mark.

Slathered some black paint on the channels and yellow paint on the rest of the frame. partially welded the axle to the frame. The temp has been over 90 and we have tropical humidity. Torchie is feeling it, and so am I. Going slow.

If it cools off a bit, I'll mess with the roadster pick up. Try to get it to upshift better.

Here's another cartoon pic by Matt, the 11 year old grandson.

Attachments

• yellow 002.jpg
    yellow 002.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Cows done.jpg
    Cows done.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 29
  • yellow 003.jpg
    yellow 003.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 29
  • yellow 001.jpg
    yellow 001.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 26
It's a long, uninteresting and embarrassing story about the Anglia, snopro. Let me say that he who makes assumptions often misses the mark.

Slathered some black paint on the channels and yellow paint on the rest of the frame. partially welded the axle to the frame. The temp has been over 90 and we have tropical humidity. Torchie is feeling it, and so am I. Going slow.

If it cools off a bit, I'll mess with the roadster pick up. Try to get it to upshift better.

Here's another cartoon pic by Matt, the 11 year old grandson.

Gotcha.

Hoo boy! 98 degrees today. That curtailed the work load. I did weld the axle to the frame. Made brackets for the tail lights and welded them in place. Looking around the garage I've got too many unfinished projects. The dragster and trailer will be going to a meet in Union Grove, Wisconsin the end of June. In August we have rented Rock Falls Raceway for a day. I want to have the Crosley ready for that. The Bantam is only a few hours away from a test drive.

Attachments

• trlr light 001.jpg
    trlr light 001.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 29
  • trlr light 004.jpg
    trlr light 004.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 30
  • trlr light 002.jpg
    trlr light 002.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 30
  • trlr light 003.jpg
    trlr light 003.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 33
Another baby step: fenders. Next will be more painting. Then we have to run the dragster up on it to determine how long the ramps must be. Hopefully they can be shortened, resulting in their being light enough of an old guy to carry. If they can be fairly short then I'll hinge them off the back and never carry a ramp again.

Picked up this 8" rear end recently for a future project.

Yes, zz, too many toys. It's hard to sell when there is a lot of blood, sweat and more blood in them. Not very much money though.

Attachments

• fenders 006.jpg
    fenders 006.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 33
  • fenders 007.jpg
    fenders 007.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 29
  • fenders 005.jpg
    fenders 005.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 30
Brushed the second coat of yellow on today and it looks pretty spiffy. Next, I'll have to work out the ramp arrangement.

A while back the spare tire on my Chevy truck was so rusted under the bed that I had to cut it out with a torch. Then one rim rusted through and went flat. So today a set of 4 rims and tires came up on Facebook Marketplace. Picked them up for 60 bucks. Yes, this is truly the rust belt.

Attachments

• All Yellow 001.jpg
    All Yellow 001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 32
  • All Yellow 002.jpg
    All Yellow 002.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 29
  • All Yellow 003.jpg
    All Yellow 003.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 33
Won’t lose that trailer in the parking lot! Looks great Bob, I love the color, got a weakness for yellow.:cool:

I think the auto makers and the salt/ chemical guys have an unholy alliance to use more product than they need so they can sell more new cars.:eek::rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back