I say woah there!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Went and loaded this morning, took off on a little 125 mile trip. Got within two red lights of my customer, pushed in the clutch pedal, and it went to the floor and stayed there! Yikes! :eek: Didn't disengage the clutch, either, it was still pulling! :eek: Managed to yank it out of gear and stop, then had to bump it into gear to go again. Creeped the last two blocks and got there in one piece. Checked the master cylinder and it was nearly dry, just barely wet my fingertip. Don't know yet if I popped the line or slave cylinder, or just let it get too low on fluid. Haven't checked it in a while, actually, I had forgotten it had a hydraulic clutch until I was suddenly reminded today! Stopped on the way home and bought a can of brake fluid and topped it off, didn't help.

Trip back home was interesting to say the least! Shifting was no problem, I seldom use the clutch to shift anyway, but stopping and starting at red lights was a pain. Had to put it in neutral, coast up to the light and try to keep rolling, then drop it back in gear and go again. Didn't always work, had to stop a few times, then had to make a quick jerk into 1st to get going. Wasn't too bad being empty, but hate to shock the gears like that much.

Going to see if I can bleed it in the AM. If not, may be replacing some parts.
Not the first time I ever had to do that. Had a clutch come apart years ago when I was working for another fellow, I drove that truck 250 miles back without a working clutch. That time it was on mostly interstate, today it was through two pretty good sized towns with half a dozen red lights each and a bunch of two lanes and stop signs.

Just another fun day in the life of a trucker, lol! :rolleyes:

Glad you didn't have an accident. My daughter learned this trick when she was about 12 or 13. The old F150 that she used to get to the bus stop. She figured it out on her own. A friend of mine says "There are truck drivers and those that just drive truck". You are a truck driver.

Wouldn't bleed, so in the morning I have a kit to put in the master, new line and a new slave. Told my parts guy I wanted a new master, didn't look in the box until I got home. Two pieces of plastic and a bunch of o rings ! This is gonna be fun......not!:rolleyes:

Took all day, but I finally got it done. Had a problem bleeding the new stuff too, my buddy called a mechanic he knew and he told us to reverse bleed it, worked like a charm. Still not coming all the way back up to the top, but I can live with it. I may have to reverse bleed it again, and it may just work itself out.

Latest posts

Back