'34 Dodge Brothers, double build.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mocked up the steering column setup and it passed. Some figuring out of the 'brushes' that will contact the brass rings happened.
Here is the steering wheel with some epoxy putty applied. The whitish place on the radius is the piece I never found. The hub in the middle is three loose pieces now, but jammed together. I will patch it up with body filler later. The body filler is a way nicer to work with than the epoxy putty, but the putty makes a better wheel in the end.

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpg
    IMG_2647.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 25
I mocked up the steering column setup and it passed. Some figuring out of the 'brushes' that will contact the brass rings happened.
Here is the steering wheel with some epoxy putty applied. The whitish place on the radius is the piece I never found. The hub in the middle is three loose pieces now, but jammed together. I will patch it up with body filler later. The body filler is a way nicer to work with than the epoxy putty, but the putty makes a better wheel in the end.
I restored the wheel for a '55 Freightliner with JB weld putty. Easy to apply and work. It sat around for about four years after that with no finish on it and it still looked good. No separations, shrinkage, or anything the last time I saw it almost two years ago.

More sanding today. Then another coat of high-build primer and sanding. I'm trying something with the paint. I sprayed on flat black and while it was still wet, I sprayed a light mist of temporary flat semi-clear coating. This will dull-up the flat black, I hope.
Instead of watching paint dry, I rummaged around in a shed and came up with a pair of old big truck horns. Only one of the horns works, when I tested them, so I have to take one apart and whip it into shape.
I also dug around and found a couple of signal light switches and one looks old and usable, if only I knew what each wire has to do.

Attachments

• IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2651.jpg
    IMG_2651.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Torchie. I'm shooting for the ratrod look, sorta' like I never touched it. Here's a weird screw-up tale. Remember when I said I turned my steering column shaft with my impact wrench on the top end nut and that was too rough on the old wheel. Well, it also tightened the nut on an extra 3/16" and now I can't screw the horn button mechanism on. I'm going to have to pull the wheel off again and shim it up a wee bit.
After reading a lot of signal light switch tech, I still didn't know which colour of wire went where, [seven wires]. Every brand has different colour charts. Soooo,-- I got out the multi-meter and figured it out by trial and error. Luckily, I wrote every trial down, so now I have this old signal switch figured out and documented.

Attachments

• IMG_2652.jpg
    IMG_2652.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 16
The Dodge Brothers truck has been perched up on the hoist for a way too long, so I pushed it out of the shop to free the hoist up. I then drove the next project up onto the hoist and tore into it. A '56 Ford Fairlane.

Attachments

• IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 19
The Dodge Brothers truck has been perched up on the hoist for a way too long, so I pushed it out of the shop to free the hoist up. I then drove the next project up onto the hoist and tore into it. A '56 Ford Fairlane.

Love the Fairlane. Tell us more.....[cl :D :cool: :cool:
[P [P [P [P
Torchie

Oh ya, the Fairlane is pretty good. The two guys that built it were careful, thorough, and generous with their money, so the car is really well done. There are a couple of things that they couldn't figure out though.
I'll start a build thread on the 56 Ford.

I don't see how you keep up with all your projects Mac. I only have two, and one is almost finished and is road worthy, and the Lincoln is close if I could just get time to work on it! Seems like since I semi retired I'm busier than ever with everything else!

I rolled the Dodge Brothers truck outside for a few days, or maybe a week, three months ago. And thar she sits, neglected. But I've still been thinking of it now and then. The motor was in town getting rebuilt. Now I have it home. This picture looks like nothing in particular, but it's a Poly 318 short block, redone. I'll make it look different over the next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3020.jpg
    IMG_3020.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3034.jpg
    IMG_3034.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 28
Seems like since I semi retired I'm busier than ever with everything else!

I hear you on that Bam, I found a couple of hours last week to work on one of mine, but for the most part, I spend most of my time doing something for someone else....need to learn how to say NO...:rolleyes::D

Looking forward to the Dodge truck build, love that body style....

I rolled the Dodge Brothers truck outside for a few days, or maybe a week, three months ago. And thar she sits, neglected. But I've still been thinking of it now and then. The motor was in town getting rebuilt. Now I have it home. This picture looks like nothing in particular, but it's a Poly 318 short block, redone. I'll make it look different over the next few days.

Mac, that second shot could have been used for the cover of a Christmas card.

Smallfoot, there is a very small percentage of people that are happy with 'ratrods' so if I sent out all my cards looking like that, I'd get some 'return to sender' letters. [ddd[ddd It's a little embarrassing also, because the poor truck has been sitting out there for almost four months now, [I just figured out].
BobW, that Poly came with a New Process 435 truck four speed, so that's what's going in the '34.

Latest posts

Back