56 Ford Fairlane hardtop.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, all of the fixing has now been testdriven and some of it passed. The signal lights work nicely. The door closes better, but now that the door is 3/16" higher, so is the glass window and it doesn't always go under the rain cap like it's supposed to. [more fixing].
The neutrals line up nicely in the gearshift pattern so it is a little easier to down shift into first, [no syncromesh] than it used to be. My timing would be thrown off while I jiggled the gearshift around trying to find the neutral in the first/reverse gate when coming from second gear.
There was more than one vibration, I guess, because I fixed three different things, [pinion angle, balanced driveshaft, replaced worn extension housing bushing], and there is a small vibration left. I haven't figured out where it is yet.
The two inch lowering blocks worked wonders and I'm happy with the slant of the car now, it was dead level before, and I couldn't live with that, right?

Attachments

• IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 30
Thank you guys.
All I did today on the car was read up in the shop manual, [yes, I even got a shop manual with the car], on how to adjust the windows on a hardtop so they don't go up too far.

That is a beauty, and I am a fan of the 55 and 56 Fords, but I do lean more towards the 56.

Even though they are similar what may not be noticeable to some is that the roof line of the 56 is lower and sleeker than the 55, see below

Attachments

• 1955-ford-fairlane-victoria-2-door-hardtop-redwhite-excellent-condition-10.jpg
    1955-ford-fairlane-victoria-2-door-hardtop-redwhite-excellent-condition-10.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 15
Snopro, I'll check out the trim lines closely, because uneven lines bother me. Once the door is shut tight there can't be much wiggle room up and down. The problem was the door male striker plate was not engaging with the female part very well. Now they are playing nicely.
Laz, I can see the difference, it's only a couple of inches or less, but it sure looks better. Both my wife and I have to learn how to get in and out of this car without banging our heads.

Snopro, I'll check out the trim lines closely, because uneven lines bother me. Once the door is shut tight there can't be much wiggle room up and down. The problem was the door male striker plate was not engaging with the female part very well. Now they are playing nicely.
Laz, I can see the difference, it's only a couple of inches or less, but it sure looks better. Both my wife and I have to learn how to get in and out of this car without banging our heads.

I Love your car, Mac.[cl :D :cool: :cool:
I had a 56 Mercury Montclair 2 door hardtop.
It was my main High school car.
I have had more then my share of cool cars but the Merc still holds a place in my heart.
Many many memories. Some happy. Some less so......
I still book mark everyone I see for sale in case I win the lotto.:eek: :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Torchie, my story is similar to yours.
My main highschool car was a '56 Ford two door. [first pic]
I also had many memories in it,-- some of them good.
'56's have a place in my heart.
Snopro, I checked the line-up of the brightwork and it is pretty darn OK, so it's staying where it is.
I told you guys that I sensed another vibration in the clutch or flywheel, just recently. Also, the starter is sounding funny, [funny sheesh, not funny ha ha], and it was getting more noticeable lately. So I took the starter out and found that the Bendix drive gear was breaking up. What's worse is that I can't find half of the gear and I think it's stuck in the clutch somewhere, maybe broken into smaller pieces. This would account for the new vibration. Anyhow, the starter sounded really bad after showing off at the A&W, so I came home and pulled right onto the hoist. The gear was not only breaking up, it was breaking away from its base, so the car would not have started again, ever. I don't often have a serious breakdown, in the shop, on the hoist.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 27
When I pulled the starter out, I dragged half of the Bendix gear out with four teeth on it. The half gear was not hooked to anything. There were three other gear teeth hidden in the bell housing, and finally one more fell out of the clutch as I turned it around. That's eight, but there's supposed to be nine. I turned the clutch around some more and dug in it with a wire, screwdriver and a pic, to no avail. I put her all back together, added in a new 'swapmeet' starter and went to town to a car show.

Attachments

• IMG_2875.jpg
    IMG_2875.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 17
Yesterday I drove the '56 into the shop and onto the hoist. I'm determined to find that last starter drive tooth and clear up the remaining vibration. I pulled the transmission out.

I had forgotten the picture of the tranny being out, so here it is.
Not much progress today.
I chucked in a picture to remind you guys why I'm hunting for Bendix starter drive gear teeth in the clutch. The second picture shows the four easily found teeth. Most of the rest of them have been found. I'm down to one missing.

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2875.jpg
    IMG_2875.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 14
You'll notice on the 'pulled transmission' picture that the throw-out bearing has a grease nipple added. That tells you what kind of mechanic the guy was who rebuilt this car. Fussy, careful, and generous. All good qualities. He just couldn't foresee the starter drive gear breaking up like that. Very few people could.

Latest posts

Back