Jeep Engine Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost but not Found

The short block is assembled, except for the timing set. The cam retaining plate is held on with star socket bolts. I bought a set of sockets when I took the engine apart but can't find them.
A while back I attached the tranny adapter to the extra block using some of the special fasteners that came with the adapter. Now that I'm getting ready to put the real engine in I can't find the rest of them. There's a couple dowel pins, some shoulder bolts and other stuff.
I think I'm ready for the memory care wing at the Old Hot Rodder's Home.

The short block is assembled, except for the timing set. The cam retaining plate is held on with star socket bolts. I bought a set of sockets when I took the engine apart but can't find them.
A while back I attached the tranny adapter to the extra block using some of the special fasteners that came with the adapter. Now that I'm getting ready to put the real engine in I can't find the rest of them. There's a couple dowel pins, some shoulder bolts and other stuff.
I think I'm ready for the memory care wing at the Old Hot Rodder's Home.
I always thought misplacing tools hot rod parts was perfectly normal behavior. If you are right, I am at least 50 years past due for lock-up. :eek:

I can relate to the problem Bob. I spent two days looking for a set of Stewart Warner guages that I know I have some where. Still no sign of them but....
I did find the special torque converter bolts that I couldn't find when I put the transmission in my '47 Dodge shop truck. That was like six or seven yrs ago I think.

It's enough to pi$$ a guy off ain't it. [S[S[S

Every Monday a couple buddies and I go out for lunch. We try to go to a different place each week. One of the guys, Jerry, just had his '32 painted and he is now reassembling it. I took a snap of it to share with you all.

Attachments

• blue 001.jpg
    blue 001.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 41
Every Monday a couple buddies and I go out for lunch. We try to go to a different place each week. One of the guys, Jerry, just had his '32 painted and he is now reassembling it. I took a snap of it to share with you all.

Wow how would it be to have friends that share a passion for the hobby.
Don't see baby blue much nowadays. Really going to stand out.

Wow how would it be to have friends that share a passion for the hobby.
Don't see baby blue much nowadays. Really going to stand out.

All my friends are car guys. And most of them are better builders than I am. They all have nicer cars than I have. I'm the only rat guy but they love me anyway.
Jerry drove the coupe for quite a few years with just the frame painted and the body in primer. This winter he blocked it out and another mutual friend painted it.

Yes, I doubt I could pull the trigger on baby blue but it sure is pretty.

I hope the car isn't as slow as this build is progressing.
I received a pair of 5.00-16 classic motorcycle tires for the front. Cleaned and painted the 350 Turbo trans. It has a reverse pattern valve body and a trans brake. Also, pictured is the engine to trans adapter. The ring is 5/8" thick steel plate. The converter adapter is very thick aluminum. Looks well made.

Attachments

• tars 002.jpg
    tars 002.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 32
  • tars 001.jpg
    tars 001.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 31
  • tars 003.jpg
    tars 003.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 33
Day two of installing the adapter. The bell housing adapter in the first pic is pretty straightforward. The thick aluminum plate that goes between the flex plate and the converter needed some attention. Had to dress the hub that sticks in the crankshaft hole. Also had to clean up the aforementioned crankshaft hole. On the other side I had to loosen up the fit with the converter center hob. No big deals, just some final fitting.

Also the mounting ears on the converter had to be trimmed to fit inside the flex plate.

Attachments

• adapter 001.jpg
    adapter 001.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 30
  • adapter 002.jpg
    adapter 002.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 29
Jeep engine, meet GM 350 Turbo transmission, thanks to an Advance Adapter. Had to trim part of the trans bell housing to clear the Jeep starter nose. The dowel pins were really tight. There's a known misalignment on the bottom bell housing bolt holes. The holes need to be elongated with a die grinder. Then it is ready to go in the chassis.

Attachments

• marriage 001.jpg
    marriage 001.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 27
The engine/adapter/transmission marriage is complete. The whole works is stuffed in the chassis, hopefully for good. Let the process of reassembly begin. No doubt there will be problems and fixes along the way.

Attachments

• its in 001.jpg
    its in 001.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 28
  • its in 003.jpg
    its in 003.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back