Hello from WI

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arod

Hey there. Just wanted to say hi. I love the site so far and I am getting some great ideas. I am thinking about starting a rat rod this summer and came here to gather as much info as possible. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get started feel free to let me know. Hope to talk/ meet some of you I'm the future.

Rick

Welcome from lower Alabama ... I guess the first thing you will need to do is locate you a car or truck that you like .. then it will all come in place a piece at a time ... These are some good folks on here . Im still kinda new my self , and they are very helpful with (any) problems or questions I have .. And I dont think for one minute anyone here would guide you in the wrong direction :D
Kelly

If your not sure what kind of ride you want ,,I pull up rat rod videos and car shows .. till I see kinda what I want ,, then the fun begins .. (The Hunt ) it took me almost 2 years to find a late 40s truck cab. Just keep looking and asking . And some one will say they know where one is .. good luck ..

Thanks. I am finding that trucks seem to be the most popular but not sure if that is the way I want to go yet. I have a budget and a list of ideas that I want to do. I am sure I will find something. In the mean time I will just keep looking and researching.

welcome

howdy.

yep, we need more info on your'e skill set and what are the parts you can realistically do or handle at home and what you have to farm out, budget and time frame.

l have some builds that are still underway and one that's been under construction for 25 years and may not be done for another 1O.

Later:cool:

Last edited:
Hi Arod, and welcome to RRR from northern Alberta.
Don't grab a truck to do, just because there are a lot done on this forum, get something that you like. There might be times in your build that you will just be plodding along in, and it helps if you like your project. Remember, you're doing this for you. When you've done your homework and found out what you want, will you post some pictures? Do you like the '20's, '30's, '40's, '50's or 60's?
Keep on tinkering.

Thanks for the info guys. Not sure what you would classify my skill level as. i can weld pretty good and fabricate almost anything with metal. I like to tinker and work with things that normally would not go together and make it work. I have more time and patanice than I have money. That is one of the reasons I think a Rat Rod would be right up my ally. I thought of doing a "show car" but I would much rather build then polish if you know what i mean. No real time frame as I am looking forward to building it and making it my own. My budget is about 5 to 7k right now to get started. I don't want to build one from the frame up for my 1st one. I was thinking of looking into getting a roller to start or maybe even something that starts, runs and stops and then making it my own. I am pretty much open to anything at this point. I will keep my eyes open on the forum and see what i can learn. Thanks again. Rick

The key when I started was to find the right car/truck. Get a vision of the finished product in your head and them start gathering parts. Now, no one else has stated this YET, but you will need a larger area than you think because this is an addiction. I promise. As the build comes along, so will other potential projects for later. I started with one and now have 9 or 10. 6 finished and more on the stand by. Ask lots of questions, learn from others build threads and most of all, have FUN. just my $0.02:cool:

Having fun is the plan. That is why I am going the Rat Rod way. It does not need to be perfect and it is something myself and my son can work on together. I just need to find a good base to start on.

welcome from Rhode Island. as far as the style you like it seems to have a picture of what you want in your head. like fenders or fenderless, mixed and matched parts or all from the same original vehicle, chopped top or stock height, engine and tranny , and the list goes on. best thing is to make it safe and to work safe and have fun. and there is nothing wrong with changing the plan as you go. I seem to do that a lot as I learn things as I go or find out that something I already did won't work with what I want to do next. good luck.

Well here are a few pics of my project so far. 46 chevy on a custom frame. Mustang II front end. Ford 9" rear and a small black chevy 350. 4" chop and channeled. Suicide doors. Still need to do the brakes, driveshaft and steering yet to get it to go, stop and steer. But I have a ton of other plans for it. I also have another unmolested 46 cab that I may be taking the dash and gages out of and 46 box to cut up. What you all think?

Attachments

• PC050467.jpg
    PC050467.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 8
  • PC050468.jpg
    PC050468.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 7
  • PC050469.jpg
    PC050469.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back