Last started ?? years ago

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a #10 or #11 and does it have a Jimmy or an Allis-Chalmers motor?

I'm not sure if it's a #10 or a #11. I was told it's the equivalent of a D8.
The engine says GM on it and it's bigger than 2 BBC's.
I put the plow truck battery that I used to get the Massey started in it today
and it turned over just fine. I don't want to try to start it until I pull the drain plug to see if there's water in the crank case (the oil is showing a couple quarts over full) Here's a picture of one that looks a lot like it but of course there's no way to reference size
attachment.php

Attachments

• FbPt0V.jpg
    FbPt0V.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 29
GM diesel would be a Detroit Diesel, a division of GM at that time I think. GMC had gas engines, not sure if they made a diesel?

If it's a Detroit, it's probably a 6-71, 318hp. Tough engine with factory installed oil leaks, lol. Two stroke, every stroke was a power stroke, and they slobbered oil. Old joke was if it quit leaking oil, it was fixing to blow up because it was dry.:eek::rolleyes:

Bama is right, GM motors have the nickname Jimmie.
You probably have the #16 like the picture. My brother is rebuilding a #10 and it's like an older D6 Cat. It will have a 4 cylinder GM in it when he gets it done.

GM diesel would be a Detroit Diesel, a division of GM at that time I think. GMC had gas engines, not sure if they made a diesel?

If it's a Detroit, it's probably a 6-71, 318hp. Tough engine with factory installed oil leaks, lol. Two stroke, every stroke was a power stroke, and they slobbered oil. Old joke was if it quit leaking oil, it was fixing to blow up because it was dry.:eek::rolleyes:

Bama, I knew a guy years ago in Centreville that had a 56 GMC truck he pulled a lowboy to haul his HD16 dozier. The truck had what I thought was a GMC "Jimmie" diesel engine. If I remember right it was V6 with a big old blower on it.

Latest posts

Back